Microsoft lets everyone try Windows XP SP3

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Dashken, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

2. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

anyone on SP3 yet?

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I will wait for the final version. :D

4. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Same here I don't do RC's or Beta's from MS the final release is usually bad enough :D

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Well, if your Windows XP is already fully patched, there's really no need to upgrade to SP3. :D

6. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

I think I'll install RC1 on my new pc. :)

7. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

I have to question why IE7 and WMP11 are not combined with SP3. Now, I don't know much on integrating WMP11, but I know MS announced IE7 will not be integrated. I LOVE havening a slipstream XP install disk, with that stuff already there. I know I can add IE7, but WMP11 tends to be a little off with some of the ID stuff. Not sure why, but I had problems and MS said don't integrate it.

8. Mac Daddy

And it is :D

9. Mac Daddy

Wish I could help but I refuse to use IE7 or WMP11 I haven't used IE in almost 5 years and WMP in 3.

Sorry I can't be of more help ...

10. Adrian Wong

I think at least part of the reason is legal in nature. If I'm not mistaken... Microsoft is prohibited from integrating IE and WMP into Windows in Europe... :think:

11. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

I barely use IE, mainly as a backup browser. I even understand the legal issue at hand, but they don't have an official way to integrate them into the setup disk. Mainly WMP. WMP handles 99% of everything I want correctly, from playing music to streaming to my X-Box.
    Basically I am ranting because they could, and should offer a way to easily and officially integrate both into the setup disk. There are a lot of people out there who just use WMP IE7, making a small side program to integrate them should not be to hard. Let's not forget, if it's integrated, and they system needs to be repaired, the system files stay at a more recent version keeping security up.

12. Mac Daddy

I agree completely and good point !!

13. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

I'm scared now Mac Daddy. You agree with the statement I made. lol, but really, if there was a way for MS to get that post, I bet it would come out. Even if it's made solely for admins, the big drop is support and the people who go through with integrating things usually know enough to solve there own problems, or at least know where to go to get help.

14. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. I'm also thinking they want to encourage people to move to Vista. If IE7 and WMP11 is so easily available on XP, users will probably not want to move to Vista.

15. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

If these users can tell the difference Vista and XP, they probably knows how to install IE or WMP on their own!

16. Mac Daddy

Well didn't mean to scare ya M8 but in the context and application you mentioned it would be useful.

Just because I am not even mean enough to force Bill Gates to use those programs good point. Gates is prolly using Linux or Mac OS anyway lol :mrgreen:

17. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

18. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

maybe I'll test it out with my work notebook

19. sbrehm72255

sbrehm72255 Newbie

I might try it out just to see how well it slipstreams, mainly to keep from downloading all those silly updates...........;)

20. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

I know. People physically around me have no clue what I talk about with this stuff. I spread my contextual humor every ware.
    I am sure Gates is running Linux more then anything because it's cheaper.

As for trying SP3, not until it's for everyone through Windows Update. I know how that stuff can work. I just eliminate risks. I have no test PC/OS and don't want to bother with a virtual PC or dual booting 2 XP's. Plus, after it's running for a week, I will be slipstreaming a new install disk and re-installing Windows. It's getting close to when I usually do it anyway, so I figured I'll just wait for SP3. I for another 3 months before my usual wipe out.