Logitech MX510 Paint Mod Guide

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

After 4 years of abuse, my Logitech MX510 was in a really bad condition with a disgustingly sticky rubber coating. So, I decided to give it a nice bath and some "new clothes" for the new year.

Here's a quote from the guide :-
    [​IMG]

Link : Logitech MX510 Paint Mod Guide

2. Rodney

Rodney Official BOG Supporter!

That is a fine paint job but can anyone do that?

The paint job is exceptional but fist let me ask what did you use to remove the old coatings?

What type of sandpaper can make such a soft finish like that?

Did you then have to prime the plastic with a special coating?

I have never seen a paint with such a fine metallic finish. Was it air brushed or will an ordinary can of spray paint do that?

Thanks for the arts and crafts lesson.

3. ianho

ianho Newbie

I actually used some paint thinnner to get most of the rubber layer off. You have to be really careful here as the thinner eats into the plastic. Just be really careful with what you're removing. Then it's down to sanding, priming, painting. I used rattle can sprays only. Rattle can paint actually produces really good results, just needs the proper method n techniques. I have been painting since I was a lil kid. Had a gazillion hours of painting practice from all those years of plastic scale modelling. :)

4. Rodney

Flawless

OK you are using ordinary metallic spray paint, I find that some metallics clog the sprayer port and then it starts to spit, do you use a special nozzle that has a special sized opening? Do you ever use the acrylic clear coats that come in a rattle can?

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  5. ianho

ianho Newbie

No special nozzles. Just a normal rattle can. Ya I do use clear coat depending on the level of gloss I wanna achieve. Some paints dont require a clear coat.

6. Rodney

I did check out your cast mods, I don't know how one would make a living at it, but it is pretty darn cool stuff. Someone should write an e-book on the secrets of cast modeling and the tools of the trade. It would stay up todate much longer then a book on how to mod your bios.

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I can achieve pretty good results with spray can too. Technique is important.

8. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I was given an old functional MX510 mouse, I thought it would be pretty simple till I read this thread, how much is the metallic paint?

And, since you said thinner will 'eat' into the plastic, it sounds dangerous since I have never done such thing before lol, can I just use my fingernails to peel off the rubber?

9. ianho

ianho Newbie

Wow, I just noticed u posted this question on my birthday. Hehe. Anyways, sry for the late reply. I've been ill n only recently back in action. U need to wipe it gently with thinner. That's the easiest way to get it off quick. U can just do it the slow n safe way by sanding but that's gonna take 10 million years. :lol:

10. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

That looks awesome! My MX518 is still good as new but I'd still like to do something like that to it.

11. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

heh, seems to be a lot of user using the MX518 mouse eh..