44.6B bid for Yahoo!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by peaz, Feb 1, 2008.

1. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Whoa...

Microsoft bids $44.6B for Yahoo - CNN.com

"(CNN) -- Software giant Microsoft said Friday it had made an unsolicited offer to buy Internet search engine operator Yahoo with a cash and stock bid worth $44.6 billion.
    art.yahoo.jpg

Yahoo shares have lost around 30 percent of their value in the past year.

The $31-a-share offer represents a 62 percent premium for shareholders above the closing price of Yahoo stock on Thursday, Microsoft said in a statement." :nuts:

2. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Nowadays Yahoo doesn't seem to be that popular anymore, especially with more people using Firefox, their would love to have Google as their homepage

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yup, just saw it. I wonder if they will actually succeed. :think:

Think about it... Two different companies, with different cultures.. and I believe totally different systems (hardware and software). How the heck is Microsoft going to absorb Yahoo? :think:

Even if they succeed in buying up Yahoo, it's going to be a really tough and expensive job to bring Yahoo into Microsoft. :think:

4. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

haha i tot microsoft recently spend some bucks on their own searh engine ,, msn search?
    anyway i do still use yahoo, yahoo can get result that google can`t
    experience when i was finding some .doc tutorial sample :p

5. peaz

Yahoo today is no longer just a search engine company. Just take their Yahoo Answers site for example. It's an explosive piece of social computing offering and today, there's hardly a question that is not yet answered via Yahoo Answers. Best of all, it's mostly localized too! Yahoo's also been doing well at online advertisement via it's messenger, integration of yahoo search on various browsers (think maxthon, opera) as well as their usual offerings, Yahoo Mail, answers, etc and even the dreaded but often useful yahoo mobile.

That's what I think Microsoft is after. The online ads industry... which is expected to grow to 80 billion in a few years time!

6. ZhengHe

ZhengHe Newbie

Well it's an interesting offer, but I don't think that Yahoo is going to take it. Of course there's a fairly good chance they will, but it doesn't seem like a move they would make based on the corporate culture in that company. They still have some fight left in them even though their stock may have dropped. Plus I don't think this is a particularly good idea from Microsoft's standpoint since they're just so different. Well, we'll see what happens won't we.

7. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

if microsoft swallowed up yahoo, do you guys think Yahoo! will still be there? or will all the queries be redirected to msn or something? :think:

8. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

hopfully not microsoft related
    actualy i kinda like how yahoo is now
    microsoft just focus on their OS!! :p but u know they don`t

9. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Maybe it will slowly dissapear, but i doubt they would take it off the Internet altogether since they have a user base :think:

10. bobletman

bobletman Newbie

I dont see much of a user base. Allthough I do see a lot of Q and A forums on yahoo a lot.

11. ZhengHe

ZhengHe Newbie

Yahoo does have a number of interesting and useful features, not to mention it's portal is still the most visited on the web. I think Microsoft would slowly integrate both portals until they come up with a happy medium between the too. What that would look like and how it would be compared to the MSN and Yahoo portals I really couldn't guess. Perhaps not a pretty result.

12. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

Yahoo 'to reject Microsoft offer'
    Microsoft and Yahoo logos
    Microsoft made its first unsolicited offer for Yahoo a year ago
    Yahoo has reportedly decided to reject Microsoft's unsolicited takeover offer.

Several newspapers and news agencies say Yahoo's board will on Monday dismiss the $44.6bn (£22.9bn) offer as being inadequate.

When it was made, Microsoft's $31 a share offer was 62% above the level at which Yahoo's shares were trading.

Yahoo's shares closed on Friday at $29.20, which may suggest doubt that the offer will be successful or that a higher price will be offered.

A source quoted by the Wall Street Journal said that Yahoo's board would be unlikely to consider anything below $40 per share.

Falling shares

A $40 a share offer would be a 109% premium to the $19.18 closing price of Yahoo's shares the day before the original offer was announced.

Yahoo's shares have not traded above $40 for two years.

Although its shares have fallen sharply since then, Yahoo's websites remain among the world's most popular.

Yahoo's share price falls have come as it has struggled to compete with Google, which has also been a big competitor for Microsoft.

Microsoft's shares have fallen 12% since it made its offer, which may reflect concerns that it has already offered too much or that such a large deal would distract its management away from its core software business.

As a result of the falling share price, Microsoft's cash and share offer is now only worth $41.8bn.

Microsoft and Yahoo have both declined to comment on the reports.

BBC NEWS | Business | Yahoo 'to reject Microsoft offer'

13. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

14. peaz

Yup. just read up on Yahoo rejecting the bid. Interesting

I wonder if anyone would decide to sue Yahoo's board of director for not 'maximizing shareholder's value' as Carl Ichan threatened to with BEA's board when BEA rejected Oracle's initial offer.

15. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Tough to prove. Those cases the burden of proof is on plaintiff.

16. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

one offer and it went up almost 10 biji..
    phewwww

17. Adrian Wong

Missed the news these few days. Did Yahoo join up with News Corp.? I heard there was some kind of talks on partnering with News Corp. or something like that... :think:

18. peaz

Looks like there are two funds suing Yahoo for not pursuing the Microsoft deal. LOL. Typical US. Sue anything to make money

19. Adrian Wong

LOL!! This is why law is so lucrative over there. :D