Painting on brushed alu surface

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by PowerSlide, Feb 3, 2008.

1. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

wana paint my stacker which the surface is brushed alu..try to sand it but no work so i cant start paint it now

any idea how to remove the anodizing on the surface? :shifty:

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. Sanding didn't work? :think:

3. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

maybe dipping it into some kind of chemical? :think:

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Maybe ianho knows?

5. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

ive asked around..to remove the anodize coat need some asid something something :?

only way is sanding BUT i don't have the equipment to do so..if someone would borrow me a mouse sander den its easier if not by hand :wall: :shifty:

6. werty316

werty316 Newbie

Are you a gonna paint the entire case or just some sections? If you are gonna paint the whole case you shouldn't need to worry about he iodized surface if you sand it down a bit and then spray a layer of primer.

1 person likes this.
  7. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

painting whole case inside out

how much should i really sand? until the surface scratch kinda look?

need to ask as well..for paiting red should spary a layer of white so the red would look nicer?

thanks bro :mrgreen:

8. Adrian Wong

If your case is originally black or dark in colour, I should think so.

9. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

well, i used this acid a few times to remove the paint on my bicycle for spraying new paint on it. Just apply it on the surface and wait for 15-20 minutes for it to work its magic. The paint will pop up and you just need to wash the paint off with water after that. Got it from hardware shop, that selling pipes, nails, etc for construction one. And its cheap as well, it was like RM6-7 like 10 years back?

ANd yeah, if you want the red to look fresh, spray white or silver first, wait for it to dry for a few days then spray the red ontop, else the red will look dull and sad...

10. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

so if sprayed a layer of primer consider dark? :mrgreen:

jasper,

thanks mate..i will go ask later those shops :thumb:

if not will sand sand and sand :shifty:

1 person likes this.
  11. Adrian Wong

I think you should follow jasper's suggestions. :D

12. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

yeah..have bought some white and some red paint few days..now find some time and energy to sand :shifty:

for interior..im painting black..2 layer of paint or 1 layer + 1 layer clearcoat?

wanted a tough paintjob that wont chip off easily

13. Majormaggot

Majormaggot Newbie

i did the exact same for my case.

1. tape off, fill, or cover any screw holes (once painted can be a pain to clean out
    2. tape off anything that u dont want painted (duh)
    3. Sand. First with 100-120 grit paper, then finish with 220 or higher (i wouldn't go above 320 grit)
    4. Clean surface with varasol, paint thinner or minieral spirits
    5. Prime. Use a decent primer grey pretty much works great for any color. Start off with one light coat, then apply a second, and so forth till everything is covered evenly.
    6. Sand again this time with 400 grit, just lightly though, to smooth off the primer. clean surface after
    7. Paint. Again best results if you start with one light layer, and go on from there.
    8. Inspect finish, if there are any runs or spots lightly sand with high grit paper and apply another layer.
    9. Apply clear coat, Max 2-3 coats, wet sand before last coat. anymore than 2-3 coats of clear will make it to thick and the paint with chip off with the clear if scratched or chipped.

for brushed aluminum, no need for acids, just sand properly (i did all by hand, really don't need powersander) and use the right primer. I recommend Tremclad enamel paint. If applied with high density foam roller you can get a really nice finish, if u want a mirror reflection, then wetsand and buff with hightspeed polishter with turtle wax polish.

can also get metallic flakes at the local arts n craft store and add to the paint for added "pop" to the finish.

hope that helps.
    i think.

-maggot out

1 person likes this.
  14. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

good guide bro!

thanks alot :thumb: