External Sound Card (Anyone use this?)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by alyy8128, Apr 22, 2008.

1. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

Since most (99%) motherboard come with on-board sound device, and most of the people will not invest into a proper sound card anymore, and there aren't have many choice of sound card except "Creative". So, anybody interested in having a USB external sound card?

I just found this interesting device offer by Creative, the X-mod:
    [​IMG]

Any comments for this device? Is that worth the money? Anyone have this and hows the performance? Any "bombastic" sound produced?

If compared with previous Creative model,
    Soundblaster Audigy2 NX:
    [​IMG]

Soundblaster Live! 24-bit External:
    [​IMG]

Which is better value-money option?

2. nearownkira

nearownkira Newbie

I dont recommend you the buy Creative sound card, especially those in the pictures.

Try AudioTrak Prodigy HD2 Soundcard

3. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

Is it this one? Looks so fantastic.
    [​IMG]

But i only see all the shop selling Creative Product, haven't see this brand before.

Any idea what is the price?

I found also an external USB version:
    [​IMG]

Is that any good also as the internal one?

4. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

I have tried the Creative audigy zx pcmcia on my laptop before, sounds great..

the 2 "boxes" in the first post are pretty old models, why not just buy an internal sound card?

5. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

USB cannot be use on both Desktop and Laptop. Some more can bring to office. hehe..

6. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

If u mean the Audiotrak USB soundcard, I think it's around MYR390. I wonder why is everyone boycotting creative xD. Ooh, that xmod creative thingie, is quite costly. you can also try Asus USB soundcard. can't remember the name already.

7. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Creative created a bad name for themselves with Xi Fi issues, releasing boards with bad capacitors on them and for me dropping driver support for the Audigy 1 series 6 months after it was released. Does anyone remember having to slipstream Audigy 2 drivers for updates ?

On the audio cards the Realtek onboard stuff has really improved in fact I had no benefit by adding my Auzentech X-Plosion on this system as the mobo supports 7.1 DTS Connect and Digital Surround.

8. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

hmm... i dont know about those new motherboard but for older motherboard like mine, the onboard sound even though it has 5.1 audio support is not powerful enough in certain games that has high audio demand. The game will lag terribly when the onboard audio cannot keep up with the audio processing job.

9. Mac Daddy

I really haven't had much time for gaming on the new system yet but will post back if I see any lagging issues. I can always throw the Auzentech card in there but it takes a slot :think:

10. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

The Auzen X-FI™ Prelude 7.1 soundcard is built based on Creative X-FI chipset leh.. is just re-assemble of X-FI by another company. Will its performance better than X-FI?

[​IMG]

By the way, the CREATIVE SoundBlaster X-Fi XMOD is cost only RM335-349 in low yat plaza leh. Quite attractive price.

11. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

so any nice solution for notebook? :mrgreen:

12. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

13. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

I think this EMU 0404 is a bit too much for normal computer user.

[​IMG]

14. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

15. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

creative will be damn :rolleyes:

16. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

usb dacs from china! cheap and good or asus dx if wanted a internal card..good review and driver not as hell as creative :wicked:

17. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Not worthy imo(creative X-Mod). + Auzentech's XFI driver are Creative based.Performance wise should be the same. What are u trying to ask anyway?Asus soundcard i think should perform just as good. But the thing is we seldom see people using Asus soundcard. i wonder why...

18. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

Found some interesting stuff from Ebay, probably made in China.

Some more got Optical Output.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is more fun, small and easy to carry.

[​IMG]

But, don't dare to try. Most probably it won't get any better than my onbard soundcard.

Just wanna know whether the Creative X-mod is worth to buy?

19. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

I said no? IMO though..Coz crappy driver support -_-

20. Mac Daddy

From what I have seen in the 3 years I have had my X-Plosion you can expect better driver support anyway ;)