What's your fav CNY food?

Discussion in 'strawroot' started by strawroot, Feb 14, 2007.

1. strawroot

strawroot I Lurrrve Panda Biscuit!

but these days i seldom see folded ones anymore
    in those days, the folded ones came in big big tin, but not anymore now. i think folded ones got heavier egg taste

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I ate the folded type this year! :drool:

3. strawroot

so many cookies.... * burp *

4. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Do those taste like ice cream cones?:think:

5. strawroot

ummm........no....they dont taste like ice cream cone. its very hard to describe the simple taste, its a mixture of egg, butter n flour :mrgreen:

6. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Hmm. Its not quite like ice cream cones. Its sweeter than that.

There's rice flour, eggs, and coconut milk in it (if I'm not mistaken.)

[​IMG]

The mold is like a clamp with a design which makes it very thin.

7. dukeman

dukeman Newbie

my god that looks like cat turds.

probally tastes real good but i would have to close my eyes to eat it

8. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

LOL! It probably looks different in person.. :p

9. Crazy_BB

Crazy_BB Newbie

favourite CNY food, lot of them. but the most i miss is the kuih kapit home made from Sibu. Beside that, nothing much i like to eat, apart from my mum's CNY try and error new dish :p.

10. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

LOL! Why try and error? :D

Kuih Kapit should be the same what.. You can even buy them. Are those made in Sibu any different?

11. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Again... my mom's fried chicken! :thumb:

Most of the cookies I also like, especially when they come with nuts, grind or whole ones also ok. Love love letters too but damn expensive nowadays but well... it's not easy to make it I know, you have to fold it while it's hot. :faint:

12. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. Must go over to try your mom's fried chicken some day. :drool: :D

Well, it's really not that difficult but you should make a whole lot of them. Otherwise, it's quite a lot of hassle. :D

Making love letters (kuih kapit) can be quite fun actually, especially if you do it in a group. :thumb:

13. Crazy_BB

Crazy_BB Newbie

Yeah, sibu one is got the taste of my hometown.. hahaha :wave:

my mum always make me try her new dishes everytime i go back to my hometown, since she knows i sure will sapu all added with some comment hehehehe :p
    Im a great supporter of her dishes.. hehehehe...
    tht y everytime i go back sure come back look lots more like a penguin "happy feet" :dance:

14. Crazy_BB

Crazy_BB Newbie

Yummy Yummy Friend chicken. My dad's fried chicken also one of my favourite food.
    hihi just like KFC one, tht y i called his one is uncle bob MY version one.
    :twisted:

15. barone

barone Newbie

^I just had mashed potatoes from KFC today
    IM a big fan of the Bak Kua food

16. bslee

bslee Newbie

No commercial mashed potatoes for me..taste like powdered stuff.
    I make my very own.. simple recipe.
    Mashed potatoes, mix with some salt pepper to taste, tablespoon of best butter you can buy (English or Aussie), & a teaspoon of condensed milk...SIMPLE?.. BESTTttttttt!

OTH, I luv Nasi Kandar if very hungry..but only from one shop in PJ new Town...others can BLAH!. Kayu?...NEVERrrrrrrr!... blatantly expensive!..5% gahmen tax?...Pooorah!

Japanese cuisine!.. just luv the elegant and delicate taste of it all...with best quality Green Tea (Japanese ah!..NOT china or taiwanese) to go with it all!

Other favourites..my own trade secret recipes..Nyonya popiah, chicken pie, mixed salad and coleslaw. My own Coney Hot dog too..

17. Adrian Wong

Yeah, home-made mashed potatoes are the best. Just a little troublesome to make! :haha: :haha:

I love eating it with garlic butter... or a butter-based sauce. :thumb: :thumb:

Unfortunately, it's a No-No as far as CNY food is concerned. My grandmother is very, VERY traditional so it's the same choice of dishes every Chinese New Year.

The last CNY, we made steamed prawn otak-otak (blended prawn paste with coconut). IMHO, it was pretty good... but it was banned from the first day of CNY. :haha: :haha: My grandmother only allowed it to appear on the second day's dinner. :haha: :haha:

18. bslee

bslee Newbie

Otak otak oh yeah!.. thats one dish I would slurp up every bit of it. in the mid 90's, I used to make day trips down to Muar town and buy about a hundred sticks and bring home. Deep freeze it immediately otherwise it'll go bad. Then at every meal, bring out say 30 sticks for the family..slurrrpee!..
    Penang Nyonya type.. not easily found here.

19. Adrian Wong

You can actually make your own. Not too difficult to do, but it's quite labour-intensive. So if you do make it, you gotta make a LOT of it. :mrgreen:

It's okay though. You can always make a lot and freeze it.

20. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

my favourite would be peanut soup and peanut cake, if that is what they called it, not so sure :mrgreen: