Sony Ericsson P1i - Opinions and help required

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by Maximus_Detritus, Apr 9, 2008.

1. bslee

bslee Newbie

Customers are buggered when they use the same cpu processor in 2-3 models, worse still when the higher model has more cpu intensive instructions. Lagi buggered!.
    Load up more stuff and it becomes a drag!
    Thats what I found in my K850i which has same or worse cpu than lower 2 models. You think they admit..they could tell you in not so many words..change phone next!. What to do?...taken in by hype, features..end up frustrated and loose money!...sigh! :wall: :wall:

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hehe.. Maybe that's their plan. To get you to upgrade your phone after just a few months of use. :mrgreen:

3. wiiz

wiiz Just Started

4. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

well... apple products are always pump up with RAM, ain't that right?

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I don't think the onboard RAM is the issue.

6. xyzzy

xyzzy Newbie

Do not buy the P1i

Hi!

I bought a P1i and I love its hardware (keyboard, display, camera, form factor, battery life). I love the SE calling card feature for separating private/business calls.

However, the software makes it essentially unusable for me:
    • No searchable address book (as useful as a car without wheels :wall:!)
    • No integrated VoIP (the Uniphone delivers good voice quality but is not well integrated)
    • No key-only usage: Whatever I usually do, I need to open my christal case and tap with fingers or stylus on the display.
    • SLOW boot and unresponsive UI
    • No way to translate numbers like 1-800-call-att to actual numbers (1-800-2255288)
    • Unusable device lock (always locks after 1min; time not adjustable)
    • Poor sync software:
      • When I switched from synching a month to synching all entries the SW deleted all entries not in this month from my PC's calendar.
      • No synchronisation of categories.
      • Unreliable synchronisation with Lotus Notes
    • More small bugs in the UI (e.g., impossible to copy phone/email from address book in order to paste it elsewhere.
    As a consequence, I'll switch back to my P900.

Overall, the phone feels to me as if no real user has ever touched it before shipping.

A final piece of good news is that the German helpline is very responsive. However, in most cases the answer was "we'll enter a feature request into the system". However, since even the most basic flaws have still not been fixed in the year that the P1i is on the market, I do not expect that this has any effect in the near future.

At least SE seems to have goten smart enough to switch to HTC as their supplier (as compared to symbian/in-house) :wave:

I hope this helps,

john

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

It will still be a problem because they are tweaking the software, not HTC, and HTC is not particularly good at it.