Low end GF9 or Higher end GF8?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by karhoe, Apr 30, 2008.

1. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Hi,

I am wondering if it is better to get Geforce 8800GT or Geforce 9600GT? What are the new things you get in GF9?

*I did some google but I want to hear you guys feedback

Thanks

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Frankly speaking, both are essentially the same GPU feature-wise. Whatever is in the GeForce 8800 GT is in the GeForce 9600 GT, and vice versa.

So, if you have to choose between the two, you should decide that based on the performance level you are looking for... or the current price-performance ratios of the two cards.

3. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

the 8800GT has a little more stuff, you can refer to TechARP's GPU comparison.

only other hand, 9600GT is the more cost-effective solution.

4. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Both cards are solid the 8800GT is a nice platform and works well. The 9600GT also works very well and the G94 GPU runs a lot cooler than the 8800 series GPU's which has been an issue for O/Cing.

It comes down to price vs performance I guess with an O/C on this 9600gt I can match performance of a stock 8800GT quite easily with a GPU core temp never over 65C(750) with the stock cooler.

5. nearownkira

nearownkira Newbie

buy the card depend on how big is your monitor and detail of the game you want to set.

6. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

8800GT is slightly faster, around 5% I remember.

7. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Hmm, go for the 9600gt. Since it's running on newer tech and almost same price as 8800gt (i think..correct me if i'm wrong ^^v)

8. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

9800GTX > 8800GTS > 8800GT > 9600GT

9. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

I prefer the 9600GT. Cost effective like Mr. Fries say. :)

10. Digerati

Digerati Newbie

Go for the 9600GT, then sell it and buy one of the newer 9900 cards when they come out in July. They should bring new technology to compete with ATI's 4800 HD.

11. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Actually, feature-wise (other than the number of stream processors), both the GeForce 8800 GT and the GeForce 9600 GT are the same.

12. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

I would buy an 8800GT or 8800GTS 512.There are not much differences between an 8800GT & a 9600GT while 9600GT is a bit weaker in performance but cost effective.If you can afford a bit more,then a GTS 512 would be ideal.GTS 512 can be overclocked to achieve the speed & performance of a 9800GTX.Both the GTS 512 & the 9800GTX basically have the same G92 core btw.9800GTX should have been called a 9800GTS though in my opinion.

13. Midicow

Midicow Newbie

These guys are correct,
    mostly the 9600gt is a die-shrunk 8800gt, with fewer stream processors and such..
    The 9800 seems to be a slightly overclocked gts(92)..

Ultimately the major difference between the 9 and 8 series cards are the drivers, the 9800s and 9600s have newer features that Nvidia hasn't messed with yet..

If you must get a card now, any of the cards made after the 8600GTS will perform excellently for you.

The 9600gt is the most cost effective, you can get one for 119UsD off newegg after MiR.

If you get the asus, evga, bfg, or Palit versions, they have an onboard VRM stepping device that allows you to have a more stable overclock by evenly distributing voltage potentials across the card.. The sonic version of the Palit has been shown to overclock to 765/1120 (2240 ddr) easily.
    (Palit 9600GT Sonic PCSTATS Review - Overclocking the quick Asus Videocard)

And thats just a 3-phase, need to get Asus to figure out a way to get their 8-phase EPU on a 9600gt, that would overclock like a mofo.

If you're looking for a cuda-platform the 8800gt or the 9800gtx wins this battle in price vs performance, but the 9600 runs much cooler.

If you really are worried about heat, get a thermaltake duorb and a few cheap mosphet (memory) heatspreaders. The duorb fits on the 8800gt as well as the 9600gt, and has very good reviews.

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  14. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

hmm, this debate is like endless...Actually i was in the same situation last time... Can't decide between a 3870 and a 2900XT =_=...At last i settle for a 2900XT instead (prices of 3870 that time was suppose to be cheaper and yet it's still expensive T_T)

15. Midicow

Midicow Newbie

Heh, thats always a tough decision..

I'm not trying to be biased or anything, but the only reason the 2900xt beats out other cards in 3dmarks and such is the way it was manufactured.. Raw processing power, and overclockability for sure..

But its cursed by its 90+nm die size and that it was built before unified shader processors were popular...

In my opinon, unless you're a hardcore overclocking enthusiast, a HD 3850 or 3870 would be better price vs performance wise in ATI.