psu problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by PowerSlide, May 4, 2008.

1. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

MY bro in law bought a CM extreme power plus 430W psu

upon plug in everything and switch on the power at the wall socket the psu coming out with loud "teeeeeeeeeeee" kinda noise

bring back to shop exchange another one, back home still same loud noise..bring over my place and it run fine

so whats the cause of it? inteference? or his house wiring which is very old apartment

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Do you have a voltmeter? Check the voltage of the socket supplying power to the PSU.

3. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

dont think my bro in law have one :shifty:

will getting those voltage regulator thing help?

4. Adrian Wong

Well, we should first determine what the problem is.

When you tested at your place, did you just test the PSU or the PC?

5. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

I agree with Adrian and as an electronics guy most failures trace to the source. Try a few things electronic on there if you don't have a voltmeter.

6. bslee

bslee Newbie

If 2 brand new PSU's exhibit the same problem, by elimination, the problem may be with your incoming voltage and earthing.
    Check the socket have approximately 230-250V AC. Most PSU have a voltage selector 110VAC or 240VAC and the connection is hardwired. If you don't know how to check voltage, get a qualified electrician or knowledgeable buddy with voltmeter to do some tests. Electricity can be fatal if you're ignorant...beware.

PC PSU's are switching power supply circuits, they need the right AC voltage to operate correctly and don't tukang tukang inside. Its not transformer step down circuitry. There's very lethal and live voltages on one side of the circuit. Having said that, actually many PSU's can be repaired, only question is, is it economical?...many think not.

7. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

I know about it - I have a CM Extreme Power 430W there and the same buzzing sound persists even I exchanged it.

Later I think it might be the nature of the PSU. Btw, it could be the power socket - have you put a voltage regulator in between? :mrgreen:

And sometimes the buzzing sound come but it'll go away eventually. :whistle:

8. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

he bring back to test w/o plugging in to his pc and still the bloody noise..so its the house problem now

he ask me how? i tel him 2 solution

1. move house :haha:
    2. sell away buy other psu

he choose 2nd option :haha: :haha: :haha:

9. Adrian Wong

ROTFL!! So, the second option works??? :haha:

10. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

What about a voltage regulator?

11. Mac Daddy

My thoughts as well I thought it was a source problem when I first read the post as Adrian did :think:

I am in NA so not really familiar with 240AC stuff that runs @50hz we run 120AC @60hz so maybe its resonation?

Chai you mentioned voltage regulator is that like a UPS here ?

12. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

You can use a UPS too, but it doesn't really do voltage regulation, does it?

13. Adrian Wong

Actually, a UPS would automatically correct voltage irregularities. The better ones even allow your PC to work like a notebook, basically feeding off the battery which is continuously recharged.

14. Mac Daddy

Adrian is correct above Chai it really depends on the model. We use a UPS at the studio because its an old farm house in the boonies with old wiring. Provides backup for power outages but also regulation for cleaner power :D

15. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Talking about voltage regulator, mine's a PK electronics bought in 1994, and still going strong! However, I started to hear click-clickety sound which doesn't mean good news for that thing nowadays... (my house has old wiring too, it was constructed in 1969)

I gotta gotta purchase a new one! Dunno how much a UPS will cost, but I guess it'll be a good idea! :haha:

16. Mac Daddy

Not sure on UPS costs there Bro but it is a good idea I think :)

17. Adrian Wong

Really depends on the capacity, but it usually uses a SLAB (sealed lead acid battery) that works for about 1-2 years. So make sure the replacement cost is reasonable! :)

I miss the inverter UPS that I used back in India. It runs off a larger (lorry-type) lead acid battery and can last for hours! I even have a separate one for my house (to power fans and some light electrical stuff during the regular power-cuts).