Microsoft warns of IE7 lock-in with XP SP3

Discussion in 'News' started by Dashken, May 12, 2008.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

2. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

Read about this earlier, imo it's not a big deal. If you're going to use IE anyway, might as well go with IE7 then.

3. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

I really don't see this as a big issue either .... now IE7 will open my MSN mail instead of IE6. If it wasn't for my long standing MSN mail account I wouldn't have to use IE at all ;)

4. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

You can install the StuffPlug plugin for WLM, there's an option for opening your mail with your default browser.

5. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Interesting will check that out and thanks :D

6. LaTorre

LaTorre Newbie

Didn't got to know

Unfortunately, got too late to know about it all.

I simply followed the option given by "Windows-update" and installed the service-pack 3.

That was a big shit, my pc stayed blocked totally and cannot boot up completely, simply on xp-logo starts anew and repeats and repeats.

So i have to re-install the whole system, with all the applications and activate it with a new code, using the molesting phone-call to microsoft.

thats awful time-costing shit.

anybody with better idea ??

i never understood how to handle the repair-console, offered on booting up with the windows-installation-cd.

sorry about bad explain, i'm not an englishman.

greetings from a new member from tenerife-canary islands :beer:

7. JMMD

JMMD Newbie

If you have an HP PC with an AMD CPU there's supposed to be an unofficial fix for this problem.

PC World - Business Center: HP Confirms XP SP3 Endless Reboot Snafu, Promises Patch

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, that was a reported problem with the initial release of SP3. That's why Microsoft postponed the release while they fixed the bug. It should have been fixed.

You can try a repair-install. Just boot up using the CD and choose to install Windows XP. It will detect your current Windows XP installation and ask you if you wish to repair the installation. Choose to repair the installation.