Microsoft extends support for XP SP2

Discussion in 'General Software' started by sultan_emerr, May 20, 2008.

1. sultan_emerr

sultan_emerr Newbie

Microsoft extends support for XP SP2 =
    heise online - Microsoft extends support for Windows XP Service Pack 2

Microsoft had already announced that they would provide free updates for critical security issues for Windows XP until 2014, but that would apply only to systems with the most recent service pack - in this case, SP3. Now, because of customer demand and most likely due to problems encountered with SP3, the company has extended support for XP SP2 to 24 months after the release of SP3, which means you'll still be able to get updates for your SP2 machine until at least 2010. That should be plenty of time for the bugs to be worked out in SP3. Read more here:
    heise online - Microsoft extends support for Windows XP Service Pack 2

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php?id=198739728&eid=-144

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  2. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Thats good because I just removed SP3 on my other machine to many instabilities running O/C tests ... shut down problems ... might try it again when I am not working on that machine ;)

3. JMMD

JMMD Newbie

I'd like to use SP3 just because it would make fresh installs easier but I'll be using XP SP2 (SP3 when it's fixed) for a long time I imagine. I'm not really interested in Vista.

4. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

It may not be just SP3 itself and with a normal install it might be fine. I am experimenting with stuff on the other machine and so far XP pro SP2 is the most stable OS. The shutdown prob not sure I think SP2 had issues with that at one time as well.

All ya can do is try it out yourself :)

5. bslee

bslee Newbie

Amazingly SP3 works fine on my Asus and Barton based system without any hiccups. OTH, Just the other day I installed SP3 on a new Asus and C2D system and ended up with BOD. Had to reinstall everything without SP3. funny!.