INF driver

Discussion in 'General Software' started by nearownkira, May 3, 2008.

1. nearownkira

nearownkira Newbie

is it important to install the INF driver provided by the motherboard manufacturer? what is the use of INF driver anyway.

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

That usually refers to the motherboard chipset INF file since all drives have INF files. It basically identifies and initializes the motherboard chipset components since the operating system already comes with those basic drivers.

Yes, you should install the INF driver provided by your motherboard manufacturer. Just make sure it's the correct one for your operating system.

3. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

INF files are actually instructions to copy system files over to your system and copy new registry entries as well.

1 person likes this.
  4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

5. Adrian Wong

Ah, thanks for the much clearer explanation! +rep! :thumb: :thumb:

6. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

LOL! Thanks! :D

For me, I normally download all updated drivers then only install new OS. :dance:

7. Adrian Wong

Me too!! Great minds think alike. ;)

8. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yup, you have to, especially for outdated OS like XP, network wouldn't work without installing drivers.

9. vgwong

vgwong Newbie

Make sure you download the correct chipset for your intel based motherboard!

10. genese

genese Newbie

Who else can solve my trouble.I use Intel's mobo(945 chipset)and Gigabyte 8500 GS graphic card to play some games.But it always restart the windows randomly,if I use to do my work or just serve internet it wouldn't happen.I try to change the graphic card but still the same.Is it cause by the mobo?(both them are new one).

11. Adrian Wong

Hi genese,

It would be better if you start a new thread for your problem. Also, do give us the full specifications for your system, and the OS you are using.