Mixing RAM sticks?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by The_YongGrand, May 24, 2008.

1. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Hey there!

I have a dual-processor Pentium 3 system... and with 256MB PC133 there, Apacer brand.

So could I mix RAM sticks of different brands, all like 256MB Kingston.. 256MB brandless... :haha:

Anyone tried that ... and any complications? :)

2. Digerati

Digerati Newbie

There most likely will be complications. Never mix RAM.

3. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

I don't know about any problems with older systems, but I mix RAM all the time and it works fine. Just make sure it has the same speed and timings.

4. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

If the RAM is different speed, always set at the BIOS the slowest of the two. It works in my ancient desktop ..

5. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

so far no problems... althought i use kingston sticks more often, but it has different memory chips

6. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

Usually the bios does this automatically anyway.

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Well I have always used mixed modules of different speeds and makes. :haha: :haha:

It's not an issue unless you use the speed of the fastest modules, instead of the highest speed supported by ALL modules.

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

That depends. Some BIOS would just default to automatic DRAM timings, leaving you to set the RAM clock speed. But yeah, many BIOS now automatically detects and uses the highest common clock speed.

9. Rraven

Rraven Newbie

If you place the slowest stick in slot 1 of the memory the bios will detect that and set all memory to that speed automatically.

10. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I was using mixed modules as well. 3 different modules and capacity on the mobo! :haha:

11. slugbug

slugbug Newbie

I used to mix and match ram all the time with older systems and rarely ran into problems. Some of todays PCs can be a little picky though.

12. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

tried and it works :p I did try it on my old Pentium 3 and Celeron machines :D

13. miahman

miahman Newbie

kwl info XD.

i was getting scared for a moment there. thought what if i had those problems lol

14. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

A bit late but never had an issue mixing ram either although as Rraven mentioned I always installed the slowest stick in slot 1 :)