Western Digital 750 GB Caviar SE16 Serial ATA Hard Drive Review

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, May 24, 2008.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

This Western Digital Caviar SE16 family is Western Digital's range of performance-grade desktop hard drives. Unlike their GreenPower (GP) series, the Caviar SE16 hard drives have a spindle speed of 7200 RPM.

Today, we will be taking a close look at their 750 GB Caviar SE16 model. Will it be significantly faster than the 1 TB Caviar GP which impressed us with its high performance, or will the Caviar GP turn out to be a better buy? Read on and find out!

Here's a quote from the review :-
    [​IMG]

Link : Western Digital 750 GB Caviar SE16 Serial ATA Hard Drive Review

2. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Looks like WD drives kick a$$ :beer: I think it wouldn't be fair as there isn't other brand recent drives review available. Some Seagates, Hitachi, Samsung and Fujitsu to the recipe?

As for the Trox screw, need Torx8 for 3.5" and Trox6 for 2.5" available the SS2 DIY's shop for less then RM10 a set ;). Of course, WD will void the warranty of the drive if they know that the PCB as been remove before..

Anyway, did expect this drive to out perform the GP version, as GP version is a power saving drive and not a performance drive even though the performance beats some of the other brands :p

Good review as always ...

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hey, thanks... Bought a set earlier but dang.. the smallest was way too big! :wall:

Hmm.. Well, I will be using the Torx screwdriver to fix my IKEA bed... :shifty: :shifty:

4. nearownkira

nearownkira Newbie

any comparison to the 750AACS?

5. Adrian Wong

Which model is that??? :think:

Do you mean the WD7500AACS which is the 750GB Caviar GP model? Unfortunately, we do not have that model. We only compared it against the 500GB and 1TB model.

6. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

wow,nice review o_o! Is it me or you guys always have WD hdd for reviews :D

7. Adrian Wong

We will go wake Seagate up again. :twisted:

8. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Nice review and nice looking HD I am still shopping here in bad need of an upgrade soon :mrgreen:

9. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yup, AACS is the GP.

10. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

between this and GP, which suitable for external usage? or both the same?

11. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

There is always a limitation of connection speed on the external casing. No matter how fast your drive is when you put it into external box then it would be limited by the connection interface, e.g. usb 2, firewire transfer rate. So for this if you want to use for your DIY external box, GP would be a better bet cause of the cool operation.

You can check out, WD MyBook series some with eSATA interface, it might just cost a couple of tens extra from the DIY external.

12. Chai

Some DIY cases have eSATA connection, and even a fan. So up to you.

13. Mac Daddy

And seems the newer computer cases are supporting that idea as well. Here is a shot of the top panel of my 80 dollar Cooler Master RC690 case.

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      585.6 KB
      Views:
  14. Adrian Wong

Yeah, the GP drive would be better for external storage. You don't need the high speed of the SE16 drive unless your external storage case comes with an eSATA or Firewire connector and cable.

15. Chai

Nope, I'm refering to DIY HDD cases. :D

16. Mac Daddy

I understand that but just showing how cases are integrating the use of DYI cases into there design ;)

17. Chai

Ah I see. Sorry about the misunderstanding. :D

18. Mac Daddy

No worries Bro but it is getting pretty amazing what they are doing with external and portable devices :D