Zotac AMP 9600GT or Galaxy 9600GT OC?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by karhoe, May 24, 2008.

1. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I plan to buy either one of the GC next month, since they are similiarly priced, I am wondering which want should I get.

From my research, Zotac has higher GPU clock rate of 725 compared to 700 of Galaxy, Zotac has higher shader clock of 1750 compared to Galaxy 1625. Both has the same effective memory clock of 2ghz.

It seems like Zotac is a better one, but then Zotac HSF only occupies one slot whereas Galaxy one is bigger and occupy two slot hence it should provide better cooling.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

2. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

There shouldn't be much difference between the cooling. If you have enough space, and you're planning on overclocking, you might want to get the Galaxy one and clock it higher than the Zotac.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Well, I think it's pretty simple. If you do not mind overclocking the card yourself, go for the Galaxy. You can easily beat the small 25 MHz core overclock. The better cooler should also help you overclock better than the Zotac. :thumb:

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I always thought overclocking depends on luck.

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Luck also, but better cooling never hurts! :D

6. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Without overclocking, if you want better cooling, the Galaxy gets my vote.

If speed and performance some more, the Zotac. :D

Personally, I think both of them are equally great! :D

7. Midicow

Midicow Newbie

Galaxy between the two,

Zotac has been known to make some graphic cards that didn't quite live up to their potential heh.

But if it were me i'd spend an extra 10 bucks and get an XFX or an EVGA because they have a lifetime warranty that covers overclocking an third-party mods.

8. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

This one ?

Canada Computers - Video Cards > PCI-Express Cards > Powered By nVidia : Galaxy GeForce 9600GT Overclocked Chipset (670Mhz) 512MB DDR3 (2000Mhz) (Cooler Master Fan - Gen 2) Dual Dual-Link Display PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card.

I was thinking of picking up one myself to play with SLI. I might change the cooler though. See nothing really available yet but will check the GPU bolt pattern and if its the same the Accelero comes off my X1950. Its on sale :D

9. Digerati

Digerati Newbie

Go with the Galaxy. Galaxy's cards have a better overclocking potential. Personally, I would just go with whatever is cheaper. If they both have the exact same price, I would go with whichever has the lowest rebate value. I always get my rebates but still hate MIRs!

10. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

if ur not gonna do overclocking than get the zotac, zotac not too bad too

11. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Just grab the cheapest one :)

Then if the difference is great enough, you might be able to grab a Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 for better cooling performance and overclocking potential ;)

12. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

XFX have LIFETIME warranty ?

13. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

Yes they do.

14. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

BFG, EVGA and XFX all offer lifetime warranty IIRC. They're competing with each other heheh

15. rogue_tomato

rogue_tomato Newbie

XFX actually offers a DOUBLE LIFETIME WARRANTY in North America. So, the warranty from the card will transfer over to the next person who owns the card after yourself ;)

That being said, I'd take the Galaxy over the Zotac because of the cooling... But if the price is only a $10-$20 difference, I'd take an XFX or EVGA brand over both Galaxy or Zotac, if for nothing else than the warranty and brand recognition.

16. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I'm from Malaysia, I just asked a seller for XFX, as i'm interested in XFX 9600GT XXX, which the price difference is around RM40 (10+ USD)

But he told me that the warranty for XFX in malaysia is only 2 years!! not lifetime warranty let alone DOUBLE lifetime warranty

17. Midicow

Midicow Newbie

HIS warrenty is 2 years, you register your card with the xfx/bfg/evga website and they give you a lifetime warrenty.

18. vgwong

vgwong Newbie

How long has Zotac been around anyways? Where are they based?

19. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

20. danteoddjob

danteoddjob Newbie

Can I have the details? :)