AMD announces 6-core and 12-core Opteron processors

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by generalRage1982hrv, May 9, 2008.

1. generalRage1982hrv

generalRage1982hrv ARP Reviewer

this is great news if you ask me
    i hope we will see soon a athlon version of that LOL
    question is this will they stay on AM2+ or they will upgrade it (talking about athlons)
    opteron is on Socket F LOL

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  2. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Good news indeed Bro lets hope it helps AMD catch back up in the CPU market :D

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

It actually looks like they are slipping. They won't be able to deliver 45nm processors until NEXT year. That's going to be a real problem for them. :think:

4. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Thats true I misread it I thought it was the AMD being released later this year hmmm .. well lets see what happens ...

5. generalRage1982hrv

generalRage1982hrv ARP Reviewer

no wonder why they cant make 45nm in time
    because they cuted their working power for 30% (talking about workers)

6. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

With the way things are going, I seriously doubt they can deliver it in 2009. Maybe a paperlaunch at best :lol: or it will never be launched :lol:

7. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

I've heard this before but seriously what will we do with those 6/12 core processors when most games or applications still can't be benefited even with a Quad core.Owning cool new products is nice but why paying so high when they don't have any practical use ? Also AMD has lost their place.I don't think, they will ever be comparable again with Intel's offerings of the same time.Thanks for the news though. :)

8. Midicow

Midicow Newbie

I'm really hoping that AMD finds a way to take advantage of memristors in their cpus... HP scientists remarked in their recent rediscovery of them, that only two are needed to do the functions of a transistor.

Also, memristors get more and more efficient the smaller they get, which is quite the opposite of transistors.

9. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

2010!? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA based on AMD's track record, mark it as 2011!

is this a news or what!? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

10. vgwong

vgwong Newbie

Just how many feet do they have to shoot themselves with? :rolleyes:

11. hjlavery

hjlavery Newbie

That was looking so good... Untill i read the Nehalem and X58 thingy in general hardware...

Well as long as both AMD and Intel keep pushing each other to build faster chips I'll be happy :)

12. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

We consumer will benefit anyway :D

13. vgwong

vgwong Newbie

Problem is can AMD survive write-down after write-down and pushing out negative growth earnings after each quarter?

14. martypastor

martypastor Newbie

Let's see what will happen.