OLED SCREENS (ORGANIC Light-Emitting Diode)

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by iModAMD, Jul 15, 2008.

1. iModAMD

iModAMD Newbie

LCD and Plasma screens start to implemented widely , an new technology try to be in the market.The OLED (Organic Light-Emitting Diode).For facilitate the implementation of this technology , some nippons company , before rivals in the high definition market now maked an alliance.

Sony,Sharp and Toshiba regrouped together for devlop this whole new technology . The first patent for this technology was made by Kodak in 1987.

The NEDO (New Energy and Industrial Technology Devlopement Organisation) on the command of the japanese governement will offer 3.5 billion of yens (33 Millions USD) for an 5 years term

The goal of this organisation?With an citation of an AFP document (The goal is on the next 10 years is to product in mass OLED Screens who will be sized more than 40'(102 CM) of diagonal.Thoses screens are really energy efficent

The OLED technology will able to miniaturize screens , who will be really costy.By example an 11' OLED XEL-1 of Sony .The cost of this screen . 2500$

For the people who recently brought an HD TV , you will be alredy interested to change your TV for an OLED one :thumb:

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

IMHO, it will take at least another 5-10 years before OLED will replace LCD in HDTVs. :think:

3. generalRage1982hrv

generalRage1982hrv ARP Reviewer

yeah nice price for 11 inch monitors
    well when i buy LCD, oled will be mass produced

4. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Lil Frank nice post my brother and saving up :pray:

5. iModAMD

iModAMD Newbie

Hope the view angle will be better than First Plasmas or LCD... i remember it was horrible ... :whistle:

6. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Ah, me too!

OLEDs are really interesting stuff. If they are cheap, can we just have those seven-segment displays based on these?

Or those dot-matrix ones for the hobby projects? :)

7. NoFormz

NoFormz Newbie

Well, I know nothing about this OLED. So I Wikied it. I got this:
    Now the thing is, why are you guys so hyped about it? I don't see any uber here. =X Or maybe there are some other things I should know?

8. Mac Daddy

I think the key words in your quote are thinner and as we all know LED devices have an almost infinite lifespan. Much longer than plasma and LCD. On OLED it has its teething pains much like Vista but will get there eventually.

Hope this answered your questions or concerns :D

9. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

OLED displays don't have backlight bleeding issues and black is truly black with OLED because there is no more backlight.

10. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I wonder if this also improves viewing angle.

11. iModAMD

iModAMD Newbie

ON LCD screens you can have an 178 degrees angles... it would be just idiot to be more far than 180... because an screen is flat... so 180 degrees total... the day i will seen an 360 screen ... the chickeen will have teeths... and you think about it... leds last really long time... so the OLED screen will last like an human lifetime ?

12. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Only the SIPS panels are giving full 178 deg viewing angle without degradation. PVA, MVA and TN panels are very far from perfect, especially TN.

SIPS panels have their own problems too. Expensive, not very good response time.

If you are happy with what you have, good for you.

But many of us are not. And yes, this is coming from a SIPS based LCD owner with excellent 178 deg viewing angle.

13. NoFormz

NoFormz Newbie

Ooooo I see. Thanks a lot ^^

What about this? What about 180 degrees and 178 degrees? They seem the same to me. I do know that LCD and Plasma provide a wider point of view for viewers. Sorry if I sound nubish. I am. Haha... Trying to learn ^^

14. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.... In the past, OLEDs not only have lifespan issues but also supported a very limited number of colours. I wonder if they are able to match LCDs in colour range. :think:

15. Mac Daddy

I noted both those points as well Adrian and on the lifespan a bit confusing here as the LED itself has such a long lifespan :think:

On the colour range will have to await more feedback and in fact on both points ...