need help choosing between ATI 4850 (1024mb), 4870 (512mb) and Nvidia 9800GTX+(512mb)

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by hackmagic, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Yukirin

Yukirin Newbie

I thought my location under my avatar is obvious :rolleyes: Well seems like LianLi Casing would also be your preference as well Lacus :wicked: seems most of LianLi casing are made of Alu'
    I envy you and others who live around KL. Easy to get second hand casing. As for my area, finding second hand casing is like finding needle in the beach. Btw, i corrected my casing name. Mine wasn't CM 690, I forgot to change that :p The reason I didn't get the CM 690 or CM 590 is because the price here is about RM 300+ that time. Due to the fact these casing were in high demand in KCH market around the time I was assembling my new rig, the shop owner purposely raise the price of these casings just to earn more(even more expensive than importing it from KL).

P.S: Did you test your casing by fitting in 8x 120mm fan :wicked: while The CM690 can fit 7x 120mm fan only though

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  2. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Well, not really..I got my casing which is almost the price range of the CM590 (which is not even fully aluminum).I don't really agree on point 2 and 3 =/.For point 2, which resonance are you refering to? Noise? Electrical?for point 3, even steel can have warping. Been using my casing so long and it does not have any warping :thumb: Not all aluminum casing uses 1.00mm aluminum (some part may uses it but then it does not really matter that much to me :) ) But still, aluminum casing tends to last much longer than those semi or fully plastic casings?Full tower casing's weight? of cause it's heavy but then one does not need to keep moving the casing (with hardwares in it) around at home anyway :haha:
    Btw yukirin, do drop me a msg if you wanna get any casings (new or old). I try and find a way to send it to you lor :thumb:

3. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

i didn't get 2nd though. just bought new unit. :) easier. everything fresh.

eh guys - we're going off topic!

4. Yukirin

Yukirin Newbie

:lol: Yeah we are very off topic already. To poster, I guess you probably know the answer by now. Most people would go for ATI HD4870 from what I read and I do also prefer HD4870 if the budget is right.

5. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

You can disagree with all of the points but that won't change anything. Confidentially THEY'RE FACTS also note the use of MORE VULNERABLE for points 2 and 3 nothing to dispute. For your information the resonance in mind is vibrational and while you might not have the experience to know it, it's a common enemy of aluminum. The fact remains that (as I said) most aluminum cases use 1.0mm aluminum, that's a MOST, not ALL. PLASTIC was never mentioned. Please mind the use of caps, I thought you might have a problem reading. :thumb:

6. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

It's not proven fact so i don't really care. :thumb: Most casing uses 1.0mm? they don't. only on certain part :haha: point 2 and 3 don't really make sense... Lol, maybe you live somewhere that has earthquake or the casing you got is so crappy that it vibrates? UNLESS you got proof showing that all this will or MUST or ACTUALLY happens on aluminum casing :naughty: (btw, do quote me which casing that you have encounter that problem :clap: :clap: ) Btw what happen to the thread starter?Btw we really went out of topic but then talking bout aluminum casing,may help the thread starter in choosing 1 :)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Can you guys stop discussing about case? It's off topic. Create a new thread and continue.

Thanks.

8. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Again, please stop discussing anything about casings (be it materials, or anything related to arguments). :mrgreen:

:beer: :arp:

9. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

The non-discussion is being resolved via PMs. Shocking shame that nobody is cutting in to clear things up, or maybe it's best if things are left alone. Anyhow :nuts: ...

4870 is the choice until nvidia get the 55nm die shrink on GTX 260.

10. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Clearing is fine, but there is a new thread button... :beer:

Nothing wrong with a good civil discussion.

11. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Well, for now, just stick to ATI cards :D..They reign for now :D...Might wanna wait for the new 4850X2 which is about to be released soon :D (wait..4850 is using ddr3 o_o, better stick to 4870 then :D..you won't regret your choice :D )

12. Spanner

Spanner Newbie

I would go for the HD4870 it seems to be the best out of the bunch.....

13. slugbug

slugbug Newbie

A friend of mine bought a 4870 and has had nothing but problems with the drivers since day one.

14. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

For example?

15. starboykb

starboykb Newbie

What kind of problem your friend experiencing?

16. rav3n0861

rav3n0861 Newbie

4870 wins hands down. if i were n your place i would definately go for ati 4870 considering its price to performance ratio :beer:

17. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

The topic starter probably would have bought a new card by now (1 month old thread). 4870 is indeed the best of these three, but the 4850 has a better price/performance ratio. :)

18. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

yeah, although...still no news on it though (as in which 1 did he/she get)