MSI launches "P45-8D Memory Lover" motherboard

Discussion in 'News' started by Dashken, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Attached Files:

2. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

As if roller coaster heatsink wasn't enough... :haha: Now they have memory lover and a lego box lookalike packaging LOL! Seriously, what were they thinking?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  3. iModAMD

iModAMD Newbie

ROFL THE FIRST 8 SLOT MOTHERBOARD . Bullshit... some server board have even more than 8 slots of memory rofl

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I though it comes with 8 DDR2 slots... :haha:

5. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Sai... I also thought 8 DDR2... :doh:

So, can it support like 2 DDR2 and 2 DDR3 at the same time? :D

6. Chai

Nope. P45 don't allow that.

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

That would be quite a feat. Even if it's possible, I think there would be a lot of timing and power issues since DDR2 and DDR3 have different throughput, timings and voltages.

8. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

Seriously, MSI is one of the worst motherboard makers around @ the moment. When you can't write solid, overclockable, self-recoverable BIOS, what do you do? you throw in rubbish like cirbalbalaboldbvb pipe copper heatsink, very confusing power saving feature (DrMOS that offers Greenpower, XpressCool, RapidBoost.. all managed by Core Center utility and requires a Greenpower Genie daughter card to work :? :?). I mean, who would reintroduce FSB jumpers in year 2008!? MSI. unbelievable. the P45 plat & diamond werent very stable when all 4 dimms were populated, so why even bother with 8 dimms?

In short, they are the HTC of motherboard. flashy style over anything else.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  9. Chai

At least with HTC you can cook your own ROM. :thumb: Not with MSI. In fact I feel that MSI is more similar to Mac. :p

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  10. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

bahahaha, but usability is good on Mac.
    okay, let just say, they are nobody. :mrgreen: :haha:

11. Chai

Usability is limited. :p That's the thing that puts me off. It's a good product, no doubt, but seriously overpriced for its features included.

HTC also has its own problems, but they make excellent hardwares. Software side, they are still better than most others WM phones, but still not up to iPhone usability.

Okok, off topic. :p

12. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

well, the issue here is, MSI wants the us to believe their mobos are as good as those made by asus/gigabyte, which isn;t the case. they are going backward in term of getting a product that an enthusiast would like to buy. hybrid cooler? overkill northbridge passive heatsink? green power design? what's next? I bet would be the incorporation of an embedded linux os, or probably TPM-support.

you can't find a handy, built-in BIOS flashing utility in the BIOS, you are required to mess around with jumpers to get the n.strap right, overclockability is just hopeless, and most samples sent out are loaded with beta BIOS. jeezz. Even Biostar is making better stuff than them.

13. Chai

I think MSI never make solid products from the beginning. :mrgreen: I had experience with MSI since the ALI Aladdin 5 chipset (MS5169 if I remember correctly), and KT3 Pro. That 5169 board was crap. KT3 Pro was OK, but nothing really special.

Actually I also have bad experiences with Asus board too. :lol: From 925X to A8V Deluxe.

14. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

I haven't bought an MSI board since the athlon xp era. No I've never had a positive experience with them ever.

My experience with Asus' high end boards (on both 775 and AM2) has been massively positive.

With gigabyte I find their high end boards somewhat lacking in a way (they're still okay) but their midrange products are extremely good value (namely the P31/EP31-DS3L), overclock well and are rock solid.

15. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

the high-end K8 stuff by MSI was quite solid. the diamond and plat series.

apart from that, can't really recall any good experience with MSI boards.