Computer Die again. Suspected the Hardisk.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by alyy8128, Oct 7, 2008.

1. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

Computer Die again and again [Confirmed HDD firmware problem at pg3]

:cry: Donno why my computer die again. It seems OK and still can online at 7pm by my sister for about 30min. Then, it left unattended for 1 hours. After i go to use it at 8.30pm, it become very slow. All the Firefox and Messenger are not responding. CPU still running very low (1-5% only).

Then i just restart the computer and it not able to log into the Windows. It stuck after BIOS start-up. Windows logo is not able to show up. Even safe mode is not able to log on.

Is this hardisk problem?

I had plug out the hardisk into a external enclosure but my laptop not able to detect it.

Any suggestion?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Wow.. That doesn't sound good.

Try booting into the BIOS. See if the BIOS can even detect the hard drive.

3. Orpheous

Orpheous Newbie

What operating system are you running?

I'm just wondering if it could be because of a recent XP SP3 installation?!?!

Do you have a "Brand Name" computer, or was it custom built?

Not sure if they've fixed the problem or not, but previous verssions of XPSP3 had major issues with any pc that's OS was "imaged" using an AMD CPU "donor" pc.
    Similar thing happened to me when I updated a friends pc to SP3, then had to uninstall the update from a DOS command prompt...

4. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

BIOS can detect. Can run FDISK and can see it. FDISK also shows 2 partition in it.

BUT cannot access it or FORMAT it. Scandisk C:\ also cannot be done.

It is a custom built system. Using AMDx2 5200+ on Gygabyte motherboard, Gygabyte 8400GS with external soundcard. Running 2GB 800hz DDR2.

Only have XP2. Not try XP3 yet.

What else will get wrong?

5. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

Hiren's BootCD 9.5 could be a way to check the drive. Use any HDD utility from the disk to check the HDD. What kind of hdd do you have and how old it is?

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I don't think you can FDISK it because it's using NTFS, while FDISK only supports FAT.

7. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

It is 3-5 years old Seagate 40GB Hardisk. Its mean i need to use Seatools to check it?

Will those HDD utility recover the files inside?

The FDISK shows 2 partitions inside the Hardisk, with the correct partition size. Eventhough it is a NTFS.

8. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yup, FDISK can see NTFS partition, but I don't think you can do any changes to it.

9. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

Looks like it is hopeless for the old hardisk liao. But still can't figure out why it die suddently without any sympton. It is so well 1 hour before. Not power surge, no power failure, no physical impact on my computer.

No sympton on virus attack also. How it die?

10. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

too old already the hdd?sometimes hardware tends to die..without us knowing what happen to it..but even if you were to recover the data, it is costly to do so =/

11. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

There are quite a number of Hardisk Recovery Technique on Hiren's website. Maybe i'll get them a try on my old hardisk.

12. Orpheous

Orpheous Newbie

Ok, looks like you either have a bad/corrupted Windows installation, or perhaps a dead/dying hard drive...
    You can try and do a repair installation of Windows, over the top of your existing Windows. Your settings and system files will be back to the way they were when you first got it. If you have malware, adware, viruses etc. the effects will be removed, but the problem won't. (we'll get to that later)

If you connect directly to the internet without a router or hardware firewall, disconnect from the internet by physically removing the connections cable, removing a wireless card, or any other means of internet connection.

Enter your BIOS, change the boot order to CD Drive 1st,
    insert your XP disc, reboot.

# When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
    Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

# Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER. DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you DO NOT want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
    (DO NOT PRESS "R")

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, END setup.

Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

You can read this more in depth article here:
    How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

Give it a try, it seems like you have nothing to lose!

13. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

Yes, you can use Seatools to check it.

I've managed to recover a hdd a few weeks ago with this utility - File Recover - File Recovery, Restore deleted files
    It was a 40GB Maxtor drive and it had the simptoms you described. I've managed to recover all the files including deleted files! But it took several hours to complete. First it does a complete scan and after that you can save to another drive the found files. Good luck!

14. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

Thanks. I'll note down these procedures. I had been to the "Recovery Console" before read your instruction. But :confused: really donno what to do there. I though the Windows Repair function is totally useless. SO, next time i'll try your method.

Thanks for the tips, I'll try IF my computer can detect that HD again. I'd just installed a new windows on my other Hardisk.

15. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. Could be a corrupted Master Boot Record. Have you tried booting into the repair console and using the FixMBR option?

16. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

Nope. I don't understand what is the purpose of the "Recovery Console" and how to use it? It is just a blank black screen with very less DOS command to use. Unable to access C:\ from there also.

17. Adrian Wong

Just type help! You will get a list of available commands. :mrgreen:

You should try chkdsk to see if there's anything wrong with the drive. You can try fixmbr and fixboot too.

18. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

OK. Let me summarise the even of computer crashing event during this few months.

1. My old 40GB IDE HDD die.

2. I purchase 2 500GB Seagate SATA HDD.

3. The new HDD perform well for few weeks, until suddenly the WinXP cannot detect the network.(After 2 days of no switch on) :nuts: Have to format to solve it.

4. After 1 week of using with 2 days resting (No switch on), the WinXP crashed. Have to format again, by booting using 250GB IDE secondary HDD, and format the RAW file system of 500GB primary HDD.

5. After another 1 week of using it. Suddenly Blue Screen of Death appear for few times. :eh: Then, the computer cannot switch on with only black screen, no even counting the RAM. Have to unplug the SATA HDD to switch on using secondary 250GB IDE HDD.

6. Surprising cannot boot as well. :faint: stuck somewhere after counting the RAM. I wish to put in the WinXP installation CD into my primary SATA DVD drive also cannot. The DVD drive tray doesn't come out, and keep flashing the LED. :nuts: I have to unpluged that drive and install the WinXP using secondary DVD IDE drive. Very surprise that after insallation, my 500GB HDD is back alive without I done anything on it. I just plug back the SATA cable on it.:think:

Now i suspect the culprit may be the SATA DVD drive. But I had using for few weeks with all my 4 drives attached together. :wall: Really can't figure out who cause my computer crash all the time. :confused:

19. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. If I were you, I would take a HARD LOOK at your motherboard. I don't think it's your hard disk drives...

20. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

Maybe your are right. It is a 2 times claimed back (replaced) motherboard. Later test again the computer and see whether the problem is really caused by that motherboard.