Some weird stuff grew off my battery?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Zenphic, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Anybody know what that powdery white stuff is? My dad said that acid came out of the battery and got oxidized. :shifty:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

I think it's crystals of battery acid. Better not inhale on it, cover your nose and dispose them quickly! :D

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

If that's an alkaline battery then that should be crystalized potassium hydroxide (alkaline).

4. Orpheous

Orpheous Newbie

"Symptoms from swallowing potassium hydroxide include:

* Abdominal pain - severe
    * Breathing difficulties due to the throat swelling shut
    * Burns in the mouth and throat
    * Collapse
    * Diarrhea
    * Mouth pain - severe
    * Rapid drop in blood pressure
    * Throat pain - severe

Symptoms from getting potassium hydroxide on the skin or in the eyes include:

* Burning
    * Severe pain
    * Vision loss

Exerpt from article at: nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002482.htm

Please handle with care!

"When not using the battery store it in a dry place between the temperatures of -20oC and +35oC. This prevents leakage, rust and decreased battery performance and service life"

Full article: supreme-battery.com/index.php?page=alkaline-safety-tips

P.S. Sorry for the shortened links, I can't post URL's until I have 5+ posts :/

5. The_YongGrand

Wow... that's scary!

I really need to handle a probably half-broken IKEA clock with these leaking batteries!

First thing first, I need to cover my nose and mouth! :D

6. Adrian Wong

Well, those are the side effects of swallowing a significant amount of it! :D

7. Orpheous

Orpheous Newbie

But please don't eat any AA's to seee how many it takes until you go blind and make a mes in the back of your pants! :p

8. The_YongGrand

Talking about 'consuming' batteries, I found out a funny parody of Stephen Chow's Six Million Dollar Man movie. That movie talked about a spoiled young guy being blasted into a gadjillion pieces, and then a crazy scientist rebuilt his body.

When the protagonist need to get used to his bionic body, he had to need electricity. Then came the professor offering him a polystyrene rice box ('fan hup' in cantonese) with full of AA and D batteries! I can't help but LOL'ed on that! :haha:

9. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

somehow.. alkaline batteries arent build for clocks,,, lol

10. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Yeah, it's an alkaline battery. Potassium hydroxide eh? Will it explode if I throw it in water? lol

11. Adrian Wong

You can try and report back to us... if you can! :haha: :haha:

12. Spanner

Spanner Newbie

Well it seems like this is turning into a chemistry experiment/lesson. What happens next we do not know?

13. Adrian Wong

No one has dared to try it yet. :D

14. The_YongGrand

No, and it's not definitely me who will do all the weird chemistry experiments. If I really work in the chemistry lab, the whole place could have exploded and all that left will be my steaming pair of shoes!! :haha: