Dual Core or Core 2 Duo ?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by belldandy, Oct 12, 2008.

1. belldandy

belldandy Newbie

hey guys,
    I am going to upgrade my machine and want some information.
    Which processor should I take for better performance of my machine.Dual core or Core 2 Duo
    Please tell me the difference between them.....

2. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

core 2 duo of course :D

its a 64 bit processor and better performance with less power than core duo :)
    but then depends on the motherboard support/

3. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I assume that you are talking about Pentium Dual Core and Core 2 Duo
    - Same architecture. (as far as 65nm is concerned)
    - Different speeds and cache size.

4. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

The Pentium D is built from 2 Prescott processors side by side who also runs very hot and is not a good overclocker.
    Intel Core 2 Duo processors are next gen processors from Intel, they are developed from ground up with the new architecture called Core. These are in fact the new processors. To make an ideea is like jumping from Pentium 2 to Pentium 3-4 and can beat easily a high speed Pentium 4 - D and running cooler and also can be very good at overclocking.
    The Intel Dual Core Processors are just launched striped down version of Core 2 Duo. These are not Pentium D rather they are same batch like Core 2 Duo based on the new Core technology.
    To conclude all this, buy a Core 2 Duo or a Quad Core from Intel. Only the budget is your limit and depends what do you do the most with the new machine.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  5. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

well, what darkseed mention is true..only the your budget is the main issue in getting a new proc. Got budget go for core 2 duo..not enough budget go for dual core.

6. belldandy

belldandy Newbie

Budget is about $700. What can I get?

7. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Be more specific, $700 for? Just processor? :lol:

8. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

that one budget :lol:
    you can get Q9xxx with that

9. belldandy

belldandy Newbie

No , $700 for the whole system....

10. Orpheous

Orpheous Newbie

You should be able to get an Intel Core 2 Duo E8500, 4Gb DDR2 800 CL4, Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 with change left over for a graphics card for $700! Don't forget to see if your power supply will handle the new specs though ;)

11. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

12. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Dual Core = technology of 2 cores in one processors.

Core 2 Duo = Intel's latest offering which features processors with two cores and based on the Core architecture.

Hope that helps. :mrgreen:

13. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I think he was most likely referring to Pentium Dual Core and not dual core in general...

14. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

I wouldn't be sure what you could get with 700$, but this is how Intel processors should go (from least expensive to most expensive):

1. E2200
    2. E5200
    3. E7200
    4. E8400

Notice that the E2200 and E5200 are only worth it if you're going to overclock them ;)