Data Recovery Software

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Orpheous, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Orpheous

Orpheous Newbie

Just wondering if you guys have had any succesful experiences with data recovery software/s.

I have a customer who has accidentally wiped a hard drive, and now needs to recover information from that drive. It is currently RAW, but I believe that it was NTFS prior to wiping.

The drive hasn't been written to since being wiped, and it is currently installed on an XP Pro system, still in it's RAW state. I have a spare drive that I can use to recover info to.

Can you suggest a program that may do the job?

2. hjlavery

hjlavery Newbie

Most of the file recovery software on the market at the moment is good, the only one that springs to mind is easy recovery by ontrack which I have used with great success a few times in the past, but from what I hear there isn't that much difference between most of them.

3. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

I have very good experience with Active@ File Recovery Software & Web Service. Data Recovery for Windows XP 2003 2000 98 ... . You could download the trial version and test it on the hard drive. It won't delete anything, it will just scan through each sector for data and it will list down all the data that can be retrieved.

Then you can decide whether it's worth buying or not. :)

I've managed to recover most of the data from HDD which was
    1) Formatted and extracted a FreeDOS ghost file to the HDD
    2) NTFS but was set to RAID 5 by a hacker (there were 3 identical HDD on the system)

:thumb:

4. Orpheous

Orpheous Newbie

Thanks for the advice guys!
    I'm trying to find free, or fully functioning evaluation software to use...

I'll let you know how it goes.....

5. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

He probably doesn't need it anymore after 1.5 months.

Anyway I would recommend TestDisk - CGSecurity

6. luisui

luisui Newbie

Hi:wave:

As for as my knowledge is concern there is no free software for data recovery :naughty:

My personal experience in the field of data recovery software is not so good but due to some of my friends experience i suggest stellar phoenix data recovery software which is cheap in price and really works good.:dance:

If this post helps you then please reply.

Regards,
    Luisui

7. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

Kinda pointless bump, but anyway there's enough good free data recovery software out there. Like I said TestDisk is a good one.

8. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Looks like spam to me.

9. Tech Tiger1

Tech Tiger1 Banned

Hi,
    As you know there are different softwares are avialable in the market.I have heared about one of them KernelTM NTFS Data Recovery.You can use the trial version of this software.I think it will helps u.

Tech Tiger1

10. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Most trial versions only allow you to retrieve bits from your large chunks. I can say that trial versions have no use unless you want to test it out to see whether it can recover your data. If it's able to find them, then buy the full version.

AFAIK, there's no free ones out there. :D

11. Tech Tiger1

Tech Tiger1 Banned

Hi,
    I think you tried the KernelTM NTFS Data Recovery Software and it works well.If you not tried yet then try it.

Tech Tiger1

12. wqmichelle

wqmichelle Newbie

the data recovery i found

I have used one backup software and I found its company has one free data recovery software, but it only can recover data at most 1 GB. May be you can download it and have a try. It can do format recovery, unformat and recover deleted files emptied from Recycle Bin or lost data due to partition loss or damage and get data back from RAW hard drives. It is easy to use. However, if you have overwritten you data, it may not help you.

13. Charlene

Charlene Newbie

I once has a power failure and my Seagate SCSI U160 could no longer boot. I spent about 3 days trying whatever I could find in the world of data recovery software. GetDataBack, Ontrack... Ontrack wouldn't boot off a CD - the system hanged. GetDataBack (probably included in Hiren's) would scan the partitions, but then it offered saving the data to a FLOPPY. It can't save to NTFS partition (on another drive). In my experience, no recovery program can save to NTFS (but they read from it, sure). So I ended with Volcov Commander who as able to read most of the files and save them where I pointed it to. But VC doesn't support long filenames which is a shame.

14. oliverpowell

oliverpowell Newbie

Most of the data recovery software that says to recover the data free of cost(whether it's for 1 or 2 GB), would actually fails to do so.
    Perhaps someone find any recovery sw which is working and saving the data properly at the desired place, but these software would no longer going to work in near future.

You can trust only the paid versions of some famous data recovery softwares which recovers the data in majority.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  15. shinjiru

shinjiru Newbie

I found recuva pretty good. Its by pirform the same guys who have developed ccleaner and its really cool. Recovers fast and excellent.

16. Doug

Doug Newbie

The original poster said the drive was wiped. Unless someone has unilaterally redefined the process, wiping is deleting plus over-writing. There is no program (free or paid) that will recover data from a modern wiped drive.

17. Doug

Doug Newbie

I have tried several recovery programs and finally settled on R-Studio which cost about $80.00. If I had it to do over again, I would still buy it.

I wish someone would do a good comparison test but considering that recovery of a 300-GB disk drive can take more than four days, the tests would be quite involved.

18. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

Pandora best for me