YouTube goes Widescreen

Discussion in 'News' started by ChampionLLY, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

LOL! It's a matter of the video's resolution la... YouTube's videos are still too low res for even 17" monitors. That's what I don't bother with the full-screen mode.

Actually, even the audio quality needs improvement. It's really quite bad. :think:

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Er...the reason why you need to sit far behind is because of the screen size, not resolution. That's why there's so many TV screen sizes to choose from, depending on your sitting position, despite all having the same resolution.

If I get a 15" 2560x1600 screen (if such a screen exists) vs a 15" 1024x768, does it mean I need to sit far behind also?

I know resolution matters, but it's not like you can change the Youtube resolution. In order to improve quality, you need to improve both input and output.

3. Adrian Wong

Okay, I think we can agree that due to the difference in Youtube video RESOLUTION and the SIZE of the 30" LCD monitor, viewing Youtube vids full-screen is horrible. :mrgreen:

4. Chai

It doesn't matter what monitor you have, viewing youtube at fullscreen is POS.

5. Adrian Wong

Yeah, too pixelated. :mad:

6. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

for short video clips, does ppl really care about screen resolution these days?

look at the japanese. they watch their lunch hour video channel on their phones, while eating their lunch. it's a 15min thing. 20min max.

two years ago, nokia predicted that there would be more ppl watching tv streams on their phones than on their tv set in 2012. is this the trend we are seeing now?

7. Chai

I used to do that with my specially encoded videos on my phone.

Top Gear on my phone. :lol: I just wish I can afford unlimited 3G. Youtube on my phone is really easy to use.

8. NArkshaRK

NArkshaRK Newbie

TV on your phone? How pathetically anti-social.

9. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

Asian mahhhh.. :)

10. drmk4

drmk4 Newbie

It looks better but with some videos they still use their original size.

11. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Anybody noticed how some YouTube videos can now be played in HD? :thumb:

12. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

yeah, but still some pixelated on fullscreen :)

13. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

A lot less than before though heheh.
    I don't know why though, but the video is quite laggy when fullscreened. Flash be the culprit? :think:

14. lee_what2004

could be, depends on the browser also?
    but I usually download them, the buffer takes too long :mrgreen:

15. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Both IE and FF do it. Maxes one of my cores to 100%. QQ
    Maybe hardware acceleration isn't working properly...

16. lee_what2004

installed latest flash player?

17. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Yep, just updated to latest and still has the problem. Whatever, works fine in Media Player Classic. :thumb:

18. lee_what2004

Media Player Classic Home Cinema ftw :thumb:

19. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

its too bad they dont have manual aspect ratio override, 16:9 movie uploaded in 4:3 format will now look damn small in 16:9 widescreen format

20. lee_what2004

not small, but cramped :)