Modding the Video RAM of my Laptop

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by martypastor, Dec 5, 2008.

1. martypastor

martypastor Newbie

Hey Guys, I have a question?
    can I increase the amount of memory (Video Memory for instance) to 128MB?
    -Will it work?
    -What will be the differences

Using an:
    Intel Extreme 2 Graphics: 64MB shared
    Phoenix BIOS released between 2004-2005
    512MB DDR RAM
    Laptop Model: Samsung Sens X15

2. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

1. Yes. Most IGP should allow you to share the system memory up to 128MB.
    2. No difference. Not to mention you system will have less memory to use.

So don't bother :mrgreen:

3. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

for intel extreme 2,i used to own a laptop that comes with it. it actually increases when one added more ram into the laptop. it will work but for gaming wise, not much difference :)

4. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

at least after I increase mine , the share from 64mb to 224mb, the game didn't crash :D

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Increasing the video RAM would work, of course. But it's only useful if you play games that use large textures.

The thing is the Intel Extreme Graphics 2 is underpowered. You are unlikely to see any real improvement in graphics performance whether you increase the video memory or not.

Plus, increasing graphics memory would mean less system memory for your OS and applications to use.

6. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

slightly less memory..if not mistaken that onboard takes up around 32mb from the ram..

7. Adrian Wong

If he increases it from 32MB to 128MB, then the system memory would conversely be reduced by 96MB.

8. lee_what2004

with 2GB ram, it shouldn't be any problem :lol:

9. Adrian Wong

Heh.. Yeah, the trouble is he only has 512MB of RAM. That means he would only have 384MB for his OS and applications.

10. lee_what2004

like that better minimize the video ram or little upgrade on the ram :roll:

11. Adrian Wong

Yeah, in fact, unless he plays 3D games, he should set the graphics RAM to 8MB.

12. lee_what2004

with that kind of setup, better go with office works only
    left off gaming

13. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

well not all bios supported changing the memory of the IE2 :/...like mine previously is cannot be changed but it auto "upgrade" itself once we add more ram into the system.

14. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

yup, most laptops are "auto" or "turbo-cached" my laptop has 2GB ram and its shared system memory for graphics is 767MB + 64MB dedicated = 831MB :p

15. martypastor

martypastor Newbie

ok thanks a lot :D
    btw give me values if i upgrade my system ram to:
    -768MB
    -1GB
    How many MB of my Video Graphics would be if i upgraded my ram listed above?
    Thanks.

16. lee_what2004

for the increase, it wouldn't go too far, I guess around 128mb?
    as for upgrade, more is better of course and should be more responsive with 1GB :D

17. dethalis

dethalis Newbie

Its intel extreme graphics 2... he will not be playing video games at blazing FPS anyway... I wouldn't bother with increasing the video memory as its not going to yeild a huge performance increase for games as that graphics card is limited.. Its intel's fail at gaming graphics.

18. starboykb

starboykb Newbie

i would rather play zuma with these onboard. :thumb:

19. Adrian Wong

Well, AFAIK, Zuma is just 2D graphics so any integrated graphics should have no problem handling it. Hehe.. :D

20. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

but i think those memory ram usage still depends wether the bios allows the user to change it or not..