Why You Should AVOID Intel Core 2 Engineering Samples

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, May 11, 2007.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Why You Should AVOID Core 2 Duo Engineering Samples Rev. 2.0

The article has just been updated! :wave:

Everyone loves Intel engineering samples. They are special handpicked samples for reviewers that are more overclockable and have unlocked multipliers. Or do they?

We take a look at the Core 2 Duo engineering samples and show you why they are not the processors that everyone thinks they are. Should you buy one, or not? Read on and find out.

Here is the update:-
    [​IMG]

Link : Why You Should AVOID Core 2 Duo Engineering Samples Rev. 2.0

2. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Why You Should AVOID Core 2 Duo Engineering Samples Rev. 3.0

The article has just been updated! :wave:

Everyone loves Intel engineering samples. They are special handpicked samples for reviewers that are more overclockable and have unlocked multipliers. Or do they?

We take a look at the Core 2 Duo engineering samples and show you why they are not the processors that everyone thinks they are. Should you buy one, or not? Read on and find out.

Here are the updates:-
    [​IMG]

Link : Why You Should AVOID Core 2 Duo Engineering Samples Rev. 3.0

3. tycheah_7

tycheah_7 Newbie

i am just wondering if you guys are aware of those CPUs sold at some forums around in msia. I am planning to get a new rig with c2d based PC and was wondering weather those sold around in forums such as :
    http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/473895
    http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/453212

Are these units genuine retail units and would i be getting the full 3 years warranty from intel ? These chips are at least rm100-150 cheaper than those sold in retail. Very tempting...

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Well, simple answer is to eyeball the processor yourself. We have already shown you how to ID ES processors in the guide. It's really quite simple to identify these processors.

But generally, ES processors are sold as-is, like OEM processors. That means only the processor is sold, without any box, documentation or cooler. If the coolers you are interested is comes in a full box, then it's a retail unit. They could be stolen processors (remember the LARGE bunch of Intel proces that got stolen not too long ago?) but boxed units are definitely retail units.

5. tycheah_7

tycheah_7 Newbie

I was fully aware of the stolen proces not too long ago but was surprised that these sellers confirms that the proces sold are fully covered warranty of 3 years by intel. This might put myself on a really hot seat if these proces are really stolen if i were to claim any warranty from intel... :wicked:

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

But according to the list it's likely that they are genuine. I mean, unless they stole the whole inventory of one of the computer shop, it's unlikely everything in there are stolen.

7. Adrian Wong

Well, the only way to be sure is to check with Intel if those processors are stolen or not. There's no way for us to visually determine if they are stolen without checking the lot numbers.

8. Adrian Wong

Oh, the robbers raided a warehouse and made off with a whole bunch Intel processors. I forgot how many but we are definitely talking about container-loads.

9. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Why You Should AVOID Intel Core 2 Engineering Samples Rev. 4.0

We take a look at the Core 2 engineering samples and show you why they are not the processors that everyone thinks they are. Should you buy one, or not? Read on and find out.

[​IMG]

Link : Why You Should AVOID Intel Core 2 Engineering Samples Rev. 4.0

10. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

I wouldn't want to be person to find out that he/she got an ES isntead of a retail...

Is there people illegally selling ES of AMD processors? That is, if they exist?

11. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

i just briefly read thru the article, very interesting indeed..

never knew what exactly what an ES is all about, neither were I aware of the potential problems highlighted.. very good article :clap:

12. Adrian Wong

Apparently, Intel is interested about the mention of China as a source. Hehe..

TBH though, loads of people are using China as a scrapegoat. The processors could have been stolen from Malaysia or Thailand for all we know... and these sellers may be using China to throw off the scent.

Then again, it could be China. The Chinese are never ones to let a good opportunity slip by them... If it makes money, they would do it, even if it's illegal. Hehe.. Maybe even BECAUSE it's illegal! Hahaha... :haha: :haha: :haha:

13. neverthar

neverthar Newbie

wow, after more then a year since I wrote that article, there's still people who do bother to read. And thanks adrian for keeping it alive with updates

14. Adrian Wong

There's always great interest in such matters! :D

15. Adrian Wong

Why You Should AVOID Intel Core 2 Engineering Samples Rev. 4.1

We take a look at the Core 2 engineering samples and show you why they are not the processors that everyone thinks they are. Should you buy one, or not? Read on and find out.

We have just updated the guide with more details about the ES processors from China.

[​IMG]

Link : Why You Should AVOID Intel Core 2 Engineering Samples Rev. 4.1