The ARP's New Toy Bragging Corner!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Chai, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

lol what a surprise eh! lucky one KayFX ;)

2. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

lol.. not as lich as ARP lich king.. :wicked:

3. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

LOL, really so lucky to get that 8800 :p..make sure not to kill the card or no warranty on it maybe?

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Well we have been wanting to get a new Receiver. Our old Sony Receiver has kinda been showing a bit of age (HDMI 1.2, old gen DTS and Dolby) so we finally gave in and replaced the receiver in the Home Theater with a Onkyo TX-SR806!

I was always one to scoff THX since we see tons of crappy stuff in the PC world bearing the THX mark but no longer. The sound is JUST AMAZING! :shock: :shock:

Hooking the back up is better than any of the other AV Receivers I have dealt with. The array of speaker connections was amazingly spacious (considering there were 9 outputs - 7 speakers and 2 Zone B outputs). Also since this has a Repeating HDMI 1.3a inputs at the back, there were only 2 HDMI cables going in (PS3 aka DVD, and our Satellite HD Receiver) and on HDMI out to our Aquos (only serves as a monitor). Finally got rid of the Toslink Optical cables. Hooking up our 7.1 setup wasn't too bad. Though I dreaded the loathsome THX Configuration (speaker height, angle, distance, etc etc), I was pleasantly surprised that this unit had an Automated setup via Audyssey. The other AV Receivers I have set up did use mics but they were not completely automatic. We had the mic set up at all 6 sitting areas and it completely set everything up everything. I didn't have to fiddle with anything. Had it all configured for THX in a few minutes. All I had to do was move the mic to the next sitting position and hit next and it beamed sounds through all 8 speakers.

Also one of the most appreciated things I have for this AV Receiver is the Onscreen GUI. No more scrolling line by line on the Receiver's display! Just tinker around on the TV.

Now that there was some musical AV Receivers being played around (old Sony going into the parental's bedroom), I just inherited a Denon Receiver for my own bedroom. :p

Now I need a sub... :o

Attached Files:

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

OMG... Can we all say LICH together??? :mrgreen:

6. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

7. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

once more... LICH :mrgreen:

8. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

got something today :thumb: ooh, and some other stuff i got recently..forgot to post :wave: (meh, the IS..fails imo..can't rma it *had to rma my pda due to touchscreen malfunction*)

Attached Files:

9. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I just found out how to hook up my Z-680's sub to the A/V Receiver (now all of my stuff is hooked up the the Sony STR-DG800)! :thumb:

The sattelites use normal speaker wire so thats no biggie. The sub however, is connected through the control pod. So what I did was I took a RCA cable and hooked it up to the Receiver's Pre Out Subwoofer and then hooked it on the green input on the pod (using a gold RCA to mini plug converter) and presto. Active subwoofer for my setup.

Should keep me happy as I save up for some Paradigms... :mrgreen:

They sound a LOT better through the receiver. PC is connected via Optical Toslink (SPDIF Out) from my X-Fi's panel to the receiver.

:thumb:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  10. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

wah.. all hail the LICH.. :faint:

11. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Just bought 1TB WD Home HDD, it's awesome.

And now I realized that

1) Normal SATA wont fit into e-sata
    2) Fat32 cannot support a single file size larger than 4GB

12. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

I have the same problem with my WD external HDD, and I don't want to reformat it to NTFS.

13. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I'm having the same problem. I'm trying to copy a 4GB file into PS3, but PS3 will only see FAT32 USB drives...

14. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

15. Adrian Wong

You have files that are larger than 4GB? :think: Why can't you use NTFS anyway?

16. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

See my PS3 example above. :mrgreen:

17. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

My new toy :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Attached Files:

18. Adrian Wong

Wow.. Nice! How much did you pay for it? And what happened to your Dopod?

19. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

RM2.4K, my dopod is sill alive, just half dead :p

20. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

Nice! Is the touchscreen any good?