ED#111 : Checked Your CD-Rs Lately?

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Jul 19, 2009.

1. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

but what if you need to reinstall the OS? over the network?

2. sherwin

sherwin Newbie

i store OS images in thumbdrives now :thumb: .. 4GB/8GB's are relatively cheap
    Installs much faster than from discs:D

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hehe.. The humidity would be a problem. But my home is almost always air-conditioned, and I keep my CD-Rs in plastic albums.

I agree. I do not believe in CD labels. I tried Stomper very early in my CD-R days and I didn't like it at all. I labelled all my CD-Rs since then with a felt-tip marker pen.

4. Adrian Wong

That's why sales of CD-Rs and DVD-Rs have dropped a LOT these days. :mrgreen:

5. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

WinPE + Vista image on my secondary partition. boot from there, and imagex the entire image onto my OS partition. raid-0 to raid-0. less than 7 mins. :mrgreen: Do remember to disable OOBE during image preparation. makes your first vista booting faster!

6. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

Recently I lost a large potion of my archive burned using one of the countless DVD ROMs that i have gone thru.

Now I have a second archive using a 1TB HD, I'm thinking of getting another 1TB HD to backup this 1TB HD and throw all the DVDs away. :p

7. zy

sounds good :thumb: but it is only applicable to the same type of computer?

8. Adrian Wong

ED#111 : Checked Your CD-Rs Lately? Rev. 2.0

In the past, hard disk drives were small (in capacity) and costly. To make up for the lack of affordable storage, many turned to CD-Rs. As it became common to store backups and personal pictures, videos, etc. on CD-Rs, the lifespan of these discs became a concern.

According to manufacturers, CD-Rs should last for decades. Some even quoted an upper limit of 120 years based on accelerated aging tests! That sure is a long time, isn't it? But will CD-Rs really last that long?

In this update, we added both a new page detailing some tips on improving CD-R longevity, and a new page on reader feedback. We also increased the results to 208 CD-Rs.

[​IMG]

Link : ED#111 : Checked Your CD-Rs Lately? Rev. 2.0

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  9. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

nope. the wonder of vista.

it's hardware-agnostic. you can basically sysprep ur current vista installation, and load it on any other pc.

10. zy

:thumb: thats good. i remember XP installation doesnt work on different PC. :thumb: i should do that image thing :)

11. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Yeah, but don't try applying RAID images on non-RAID systems or vice-versa, sometimes it doesn't work, but sometimes it does! :faint:

Butseriously, Vista WinPE is a dream come true. Add some GUI to it, wow... here, we are all using customized WinPE, with taskbar, startmenu, etc. so fast, so easy. :D

As for CD/DVD, I haven't touched my pink folder for ages, now everything in my HDDs. :clap: Now, let me become suddenly hardworking, I'll set up a new system with all the 1TB/750GB HDDs I have... waaa... space library ah! System ada, HDDs ada... just no hardworking nia...

12. cypris

cypris Newbie

I've not burned anything since I graduated. And that's only school work.

I've not burned any personal stuff for about 2 years I think.

13. Adrian Wong

LOL!! I think we can call your library the PINK library! :lol:

14. Adrian Wong

So how do you backup? On HDD?

15. cypris

cypris Newbie

yeah o_o Run out of space = buy bigger harddrive. Important, lose-and-my-life-is-over stuff sits in RAID drives.

16. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I need cheap 2TB soon...

17. Adrian Wong

Oh, you actually run RAID 1? Nice!

18. Adrian Wong

ED#111 : Checked Your CD-Rs Lately? Rev. 3.0

In the past, hard disk drives were small (in capacity) and costly. To make up for the lack of affordable storage, many turned to CD-Rs. As it became common to store backups and personal pictures, videos, etc. on CD-Rs, the lifespan of these discs became a concern.

According to manufacturers, CD-Rs should last for decades. Some even quoted an upper limit of 120 years based on accelerated aging tests! That sure is a long time, isn't it? But will CD-Rs really last that long?

In this update, we added 154 additional CD-Rs dating from 1999 till 2003, and revised the article to reflect the updated results.

[​IMG]

Link : ED#111 : Checked Your CD-Rs Lately? Rev. 3.0

19. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

this is my main reason switching to hdd :)
    but still the cost is too much if everytime one hdd full, need to get another one :wall:

20. Adrian Wong

A 750 GB hard disk drive can store the equivalent of 1154 CD-Rs, or about 160 single-layer DVD-Rs. :D

The biggest advantage is that they are all stored in a single drive. Searching for your stuff is so much easier.