The best laptop?

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by stanley-foo, Aug 24, 2009.

1. stanley-foo

stanley-foo Newbie

I plan to change my laptop.
    Any advice which brand of laptop I should go for?

ASUS
    HP Compaq
    Dell
    Acer
    Toshiba
    Lenovo

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

for me. no acer no hp.

lenovo, asus, dell depending what you looking for & budget

3. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

Depends on what you want to do with the laptop. Gaming, office, video editing, 3d rendering, multipurpose. It would be nice to be more specific and that way we can help you.

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Exactly!

A budget and desired form factor (14"? 15?) would also be helpful.

5. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

For normal purpose, I would suggest Asus K50AB which has a powerful graphics card - if you ever need to use it

6. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Dell (Canada) gets my vote. Great RMA service as far as I know (they cover shipping costs and ship first!)

7. miahman

miahman Newbie

what is wrong with acer and compaq?
    i was thinking on buying one of them....:think:

8. zy

reliability, software and support issues.

9. miahman

miahman Newbie

interestesting. a friend of mine has a HP laptop and says she had no problems with it.

thanks for the heads up anyways :D

10. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I really like Lenovo right now (Ideapad Y series are nice). Also really like the Dell XPS Studios.

11. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

My family has got 2 Acer laptops, one really old, and one quite new, both are very nice laptops. Extremely affordable for the specs.

12. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

I'm good with Acer. The last one I used was really tough and lasted ages. Now I'm using the 3810T and it's awesome too!

Asus so far so good, been using their netbooks and AIO.

Dell has been my favourite so far. Using an Inspiron 1310 or something, really old model circa 2006 but it works great till now! Just ordered an Inspiron 14 too, can't wait to test it out. Their service has been best for me so far.

Compaq, I used before. Seems alright.

Lenovo is nice, they're stepping up their game in customer service and their products aren't to be look down on either. I have an Ideapad S10-2 coming in soon. :D Used it before as well, it's a nice netbook!

--------------

blablabla now back to the question at hand - there's no such thing as BEST notebook. even if it's BEST, it may not be best when it comes to price:performance value.

in the end, you'll just have to know what you need, which one offers the best specs for the need and at the price that doesn't kill you......... PLUS it's good to know which brand has best support around your area. :)

13. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I still miss the IBM Thinkpad series. One of THE best. :mrgreen: But the Taiwanese are pretty good these days.

14. Adrian Wong

I find Dell notebooks to be too clunky, not refined enough. Even worse, they are often MORE expensive than Taiwanese brands! You can often get a better spec'ed notebook from the likes of ASUS, Acer and BenQ and at a lower price to boot than Dell. :wall:

The only redeeming factor for Dell is their excellent service. Just call them and they will send someone over to check it out, or deliver a replacement. So far, no one can beat that! :thumb:

15. zy

I just email dell, their email support policy is like 6 hours, before midnight i think.

I'm getting my wifi switch replaced :p waiting for phone call for the next few days. They have to deliver the part to local dispatch. something like that.

16. Adrian Wong

Isn't it supposed to be Next Business Day? :think:

17. zy

yeah, its next business day, but i forgot to pickup the phone. :p
    so he came today, and told me dell sent the wrong part. he said i will need a new motherboard. not bottom plastic. LOL

18. Adrian Wong

ROTFL!!! :lol:

Why would Dell think you just need a piece of plastic??? :lol:

19. zy

exactly.. even the dispatched technician thought of the same thing..

20. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

I also thought he only need the plastic, since he said wifi switch :roll: