Superb parking skills

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by karhoe, Nov 30, 2009.

1. ToyotaFreak

ToyotaFreak Just Started

Funny that, our Merc's sensors (2 front corner, 2 front, 2 rear corner and 2 reverse.) only activates when approaching a wall, pole, kerb, pots, pillar or parked car. It doesn't go off as we slow down behind a car at a traffic light, pedestrian crossing or even when the car is stationary (Even when in D or P). With the Estima though (2 front corner, 2 rear corner & 2 reverse.), the front and rear corner sensors do beep if a person is walking around or if there's a motorcycle right next to the sensor. I guess different systems have a different setup.

My mother prefers the Estima's Sonar corner sensor though, as the front & rear corner sensors always work (In the Merc, the rear corners only work when the rear parking sensors are activated. In other words, when the car is in reverse.).

Disclaimer: Even with the corner sonar or parking sensor, I wouldn't rely on it too much, just like a front blind spot or reversing camera. Only use it as a guide and physically check surroundings (As per owner's manual. :mrgreen: ).

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Must be really irritating if you like to creep close to the car in front of you! :)

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

You shouldn't, thats the purpose of it. :lol:

4. Adrian Wong

How close is close enough to activate the sensor?

5. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I've never had the sensor activate at stoplights nor during traffic jams (on our family's GS 450h). But then again, Americans don't really tailgate like Malaysians do... :p (plus tailgating with that kinda car? :nuts: )

6. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Malaysian & American tailgating distance is different. :mrgreen:

7. Adrian Wong

Really? What's the difference? :think:

8. zy

Malaysian's tailgating distance is closer ;p

9. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

And that's an understatement. :)

10. Adrian Wong

ROTFL!! I can already surmise that. Just wondering how much further Americans keep away from the cars in front! :D

11. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Haha, there's lack of driving ethics in Malaysia, in AutoBahn, you gently turn on your right indicator on the fast lane to signal them to move out of your way, but in Malaysia, no matter how many times I tried that, no one seems to understand.

12. Chai

Close enough you can't see the number plates. :haha:

13. zy

in US, ppl don't change lane as often as in Malaysia. :thumb: but sometimes you will meet an idiot on the fast lane. :wall:

Some highway in US, the slow lane can be running at 70mph (65mph speed limit) while the fast lane will be 80mph (65mph limit) :nuts: :thumb:

14. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

In AutoBahn, driving slow on the fast lane can cause you to be slapped with a fine

15. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Could they have that sign "If you can read that, you're following too close" at the back of the trucks? :shifty:

Months ago when I was driving back from college, a long trailer tailgated me. I was damn afraid. Fortunately, the left lane was empty and I quickly switched it. The trailer honked and honked and honked, and sped away. (FYI - I'm driving 75km/h - just nice for that highway) :faint:

16. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I can read that even if I'm not following 'too close' LOL

17. Chai

Still too close. :haha:

18. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I have good eyesight, I can read even if I practice the 3 seconds gap rule

19. Chai

Now I have got a good excuse to tail gate. :haha:

20. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Haha, because you coudn't read those sign?