NVIDIA GeForce To Quadro Soft-Mod Guide

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, May 9, 2008.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

No, I don't think the GTX 260 is moddable, at least I haven't heard of anyone who has done it.

2. Vert-Ex

Vert-Ex Newbie

I definitely had it working on Vista. It was recognized by the system, had the Quadro drivers working with RivaTuner 2.22, and was using OpenGL in 3ds Max. Couldn't get the MAXtreme driver to work, though. The Nvidia software would recognize the card as a Quadro and offer to install the performance driver for 3ds Max but the installation always failed.

So is the 8800 GTX like the end of the line for Quadro softmodding? Would maybe NVFlash help?

3. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Possible. I know my 9800GT does snow the NVstrap option.

4. Adrian Wong

AFAIK, G80 is the last GPU to be soft-moddable... :think:

5. anatanimation

anatanimation Newbie

greetings everybody,
    i've doing this softmod since gforce 2mx (quadro MX) trough fx5200
    during the time i got work on some animation studio and using "real" quadro and firegl
    now i try to touching this softmode again :D lots fun
    but now i had some problem, it can't be done under win7 i've tried vista and it runs fine on that shitty OS :D
    can anybody give a clue for this win seven issue
    (driver that works and which version of rtuner that suite this OS)
    thanks in advance..
    Cheers..

6. Adrian Wong

No, as far as we know, it doesn't work in Windows 7. :(

7. adambomb

adambomb Newbie

Just got this running on a couple different systems, was an absolute breeze! BTW, I had no problems getting it running on Win 7 Pro x64.

8600 GT on Win 7 Pro x64
    8600 GT on XP Pro
    7900 GS on XP Pro x64

Furmark benchmark of 8600 GT on Win 7 Pro x64:
    GeForce drivers: 696
    Quadro drivers: 696

Didn't see a performance increase with Furmark, however all 3 cases automatically activated Realview in Solidworks. Haven't used it much yet, but I'm hoping it may help some Solidworks stability issues I've had with the 7900 GS too. If nothing else I've unlocked professional graphics in Solidworks, so that's worth it to me!

8. Adrian Wong

That's great news! :thumb:

9. adambomb

adambomb Newbie

More great news:

Stability issues with the 7900 GS seem to be gone. It used to do this thing where if you opened more than 4 files in Solidworks the system would freeze, the opposite monitor would turn solid yellow, and the sound card driver would freak out and think you plugged something into an audio port (no joke). Can't replicate that problem now. Note that up until around 2007 when Solidworks rated gaming card compatibility the 7900 GS only got an "amber" rating.

Also hardware acceleration appears to be tremendously improved in Solidworks. Responds much more quickly when rotating, zooming, etc. very large assemblies, and seems to handle them much better in general. Not sure how to benchmark it in Solidworks, but I'd believe the 150-300% improvement cited by the original article.

Fan control got "dumb" again (Rivatuner will only allow full-manual control), but I re-installed MSI afterburner and it's happily giving me user-defined thermostatic control again. Also re-applied the overclock I had before, 500 MHz core, 900 MHz memory (up from 500/660 MHz), all seems solid.

OK, now I've got a bit more confidence (hopefully not too much!), I think I'm going to give it a try on the newest computer in our lab, running Win 7 x64 with a GTX 260.

10. adambomb

adambomb Newbie

Bummer, no luck with the GTX 260. In the low level system tweaks there's no NV Strap tab. Not sure if there's another "back door" or something you can do under the power user settings, or if Nvidia just finally wised up to this hack. Also not quite sure what it would switch to; there doesn't appear to be an obvious direct equivalent to the GT200 GPU. The G100GL-U has a similar transistor count, that was going to be my first try. And who knows, it might just be one of those things that takes a couple years for "real" hackers to figure out. ;) I don't really have the time (or experience for that matter) to delve any further though, at least not at this time.

11. Adrian Wong

I don't think the GTX 260 will ever be moddable. So far, no one has successfully done it. :(

12. arankthnar

arankthnar Newbie

Just to be sure.

Is it possible to soft-mod my 8800 GTX 640 mo as a fx4600?
    It's gonna be used on Solidworks, Esprit and Catia.
    Could I do the same on a 8800 ultra?

Thanks.

13. maru487

maru487 Newbie

GTX 260 Hardware mod?

And I am assuming theres no Hardware mod either? :pray:

14. Adrian Wong

The GeForce 8800 GTX would be closest to the FX 4600. But are you referring to the GeForce 8800 GTX or 8800 GTS 640 MB?

You can mod the 8800 Ultra to the FX 4600 too, yes.

15. Adrian Wong

Not that I know of... :(

16. arankthnar

arankthnar Newbie

Sorry. I made a mistake.
    I was speaking about my gefroce 8800 GTS 640Mo.
    But I will buy a 8800Ultra, after the soft-mod of the GTS.

17. Adrian Wong

Okay. Unfortunately, you can't mod the GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB to the FX 4600.

18. cje

cje Newbie

Hey,

I'm a 3D Graphics professional and I'm looking into soft-modding my Gefore into a Quaddro for better performance in Both 3DS Max and Zbrush.

I currently have a :

G92 XFX 8800 GT (Device ID 10DE-0611, BIOS 62.92.1F.00.70)

Is it possible for me to softmod this into a comparable Quadro card for increase Max/Zbrush performance?

As well, will this hamper my gaming performance? I don't do much gaming on the pc, but I do play UT3 once and a while.

19. Adrian Wong

Yes, it would be possible to softmod this card. No, it won't hamper your gaming performance.

Do read the guide before you proceed. Everything you just asked was covered in the guide. :)

20. pedrodla

pedrodla Newbie

New System

Hey guys, first of all: ignore grammar erros (or correct them for me, please!) I'm from Brazil. :wave:

Im getting a new computer and really want to save some money on the videocard (or in everything I can..).

I work mainly with 3ds Max, Adobe products and some Maya, ZBrush, Combustion for 2D etc. The heaviest game I ever played (and wanted to play) ran pretty nice on my G1S laptop (8600 GT). So, this PC will be focused on 3D work.

I wanted to know which is the best card to be modded for Quadro. I read in a lot of places that GTX 260 should be able to be modded, but nobody reported success and the 9800's has the same problem. These cards can be modded?

It is possible to do the mod on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bits?
    (I read some people got it working just fine... right?)

What would be my best option for mod? 8800GTX, 8800GTS, 8800 Ultra, 8800GT?

It's worth investing in a relative old card? Or I should go for a GTX 260? Or even getting a Quadro FX 1700?

Don't bother correcting my grammar, I'll appreciate it! :D

That's all! Thanks for your attention mates!

Cheers! :beer: