HDMI on PS3 (PAL/NTSC)?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by zy, Nov 15, 2010.

1. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Hey guys.

My friend brought over his PS3 from Singapore to US (long time ago).
    And when he connect via HDMI, he didnt get color (like connecting a PAL PS to a NTSC TV).

So he bought another PS3 and used it for quite sometime.

So he recently went back, bringing his old PS3 back. It worked at home.

Does HDMI carry PAL/NSTC signals????

2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I'm not sure it would matter. The Americas and South East Asia are all Region A (for BD).

Easiest way is to check on the Model number and determine it from there.

Also, I do know when moving TV's or HT setups, it's always best to redo the Audio and Video setup (I had some funkyness going on when I shifted one of our PS3's in the house into my parent's bedroom and I got weird tearing and messed up color because I was going from a 1080P TV to a 1080i TV (it probably was still configured to display 1080P).

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. I wouldn't think so, but after a little googling, it appears that your TV must support the same format (PAL / NTSC) as the player.

4. empire23

empire23 BRB. Attacking Russia

I don't think the signal transmitted over HDMI has anything to do with PAL or NTSC since they're both analog formats. HDMI can carry encapsulated PAL or NTSC (then it is DACed into Analog), but otherwise, it is always digital.

Just resetup the system via the menus and you'll be all good. Most people fail to do this when they move from TV to TV. It's just a change of digital format screwing things up and is nothing to fret about.