How often do you buy/build a new pc?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by k44k, Mar 15, 2011.

1. k44k

k44k Newbie

I do incremental upgrades. Built mine in 2007 and so far upgraded my video card & RMA faulty mobo only. Will upgrade hard drive soon to 1/2TB. Use only for surfing, photo editing, office work & occasional gaming.

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Hmm, I do incremental upgrades also. Usually around 2 years per part. My last upgrade was i7 870.

3. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

hmm am still using my PC since * counting with finger * 6-7 years
    got upgrade my graphic card. and CPU fan and that all ( also added RAM thanks to arp! ) haha.

4. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

I upgraded my graphics card since 2008. Rest of it... not much, just adding a new HDD. :D

5. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

My past 2 PC were "salvaged" PCs...

I had 2 Pentium 4 setups given by my friends.

Then I had a Core 2 Duo 2.2ghz where the motherboard and CPU was free. :lol:

6. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

about every 4 years I get the itch to build a new one, otherwise it's a piece by piece upgrade, HDD, etc

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Since I work mostly on my notebook, I usually do a massive upgrade every 3 years. I'm now itching to get a new notebook. Preferably one based on Sandy Bridge even though it's nothing special. I aiming to get at least USB 3.0 (and eSATA if possible) and 8 GB of RAM.

8. ET3D

ET3D Newbie

I do occasional upgrades (upgraded graphics and disks in the current PC), but the time between CPU/MB changes is growing longer. I bought my first PC at the end of 94, and tended to get a new one after 1 year 10 months. But last time it was 3 years, and the current one will probably last three years too.

9. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

For me? I used to change/upgrade parts every 4 months. Stopped doing that already :lol: Now my gc needs replacement,keeps giving me rice grain artifacts at times :wall:

10. Chai

Grown up, eh? :haha:

11. Adrian Wong

You are too lich.. :haha:

What did you do to your graphics card???

12. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

last upgrade my system is last year september where i bought a gtx460 but the rest is around 2009

but my casing a cm stacker ive used since 2004, talk about loyal :mrgreen:

13. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Frankly saying.. Nothing. that bloody thing is on stock clock + custom cooler. Thats all =/...aging maybe >.>... Gotten a new psu few months back so can't be psu causing the issue o_O

14. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

last upgrade: core 2 8400 :shifty:

15. k44k

k44k Newbie

Worth getting an SSD for OS? or just go for the WD or Samsung SpinPoint drives?

16. Chai

If you are a speed freak, and have nothing else to upgrade, I think SSD is worth considering. :mrgreen:

17. Adrian Wong

You can get a SSD for the operating system and applications if you find things are still "slow" despite upgrading your system with more memory and/or faster CPU or graphics card.

As long as you don't need to load your work files on the SSD, you should be away to get away with a relatively small SSD - 60 GB or so. That should be pretty affordable. You can check how much space you are using right now on your OS drive to get a rough idea of how much space you need.

18. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

Aprox. 2-3 years is my update rate and going for mid to high range components that way I can get more for less.

19. Adrian Wong

Yeah, the upgrade should be significant. Otherwise, it will get outdated real fast.

20. k44k

k44k Newbie

Best to allocate some budget for upgrades and stick closely to it.