Camera testing - Canon 60D

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by alyy8128, Apr 15, 2011.

1. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

Camera - Canon 60D + update Album Danga Bay JB

Before the story started. Let's see the evolution of the camera. From left, Yachica, Canon S2is, Canon 60D.

[​IMG]

Now, let try to see how much the camera can do.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Permas Mall's night view
    [​IMG]

Coffee bean, not from "Coffee Bean".
    [​IMG]

Cold Drip coffee maker.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lazy cameleon
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for viewing, will update later.:mrgreen:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

60D is not bad, but to fully utilize it, you need a USM lens.

I have a 15-85 IS USM paired with my 50D.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

USM would definitely speed up focus speed, but it shouldn't affect image quality.

4. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

Adrian already used my 60D. :D

anyway, 60D is great. I've used it for 2 food photography session and 1 event already. next week, interior shoot. :D

[​IMG]
    60D with 15-85 IS USM Stock Images: Delicious Oriental Dim Sum

[​IMG]
    60D with 15-85 IS USM Stock Photos | Shutterstock: Royalty-Free Subscription Stock Photography & Vector Art

:)

[​IMG]
    Nikon Malaysia 10th Anniversary Celebration by goldfries, on Flickr (60D with 15-85 IS USM)

[​IMG]
    Outing at KL Bird Park by goldfries, on Flickr (60D with 70-200 F4)

[​IMG]
    Outing at KL Bird Park by goldfries, on Flickr (60D with 70-200 F4)

[​IMG]
    Outing at KL Bird Park by goldfries, on Flickr (60D with 100mm f2.8 macro)

[​IMG]
    涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 | The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya by goldfries, on Flickr (60D with 100mm f2.8 macro)

Bonus pic of ME, taken by Adrian da boss!

[​IMG]
    2nd Generation Intel Core Processor Launch (Sandy Bridge) by goldfries, on Flickr

5. zy

:evil: I didn't say anything about image quality! :evil: :mrgreen:

@goldfries: How much did the 15-85 cost you? :think:

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

USM would not be my main reason to upgrade lens, unless you need the speed. :haha:

7. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

The first time I use the camera, the noise of the lens are frightening me. Now already get used of it.

AF of the EFS18135 is reasonable fast, but the AF in live-view still slow like turtle.

8. goldfries

to get fast AF in LiveView, use Quick Mode. :)

9. Chai

If you want to use LiveView, don't buy SLR. :snooty:

The greatest thing about SLR is the optical viewfinder!

10. zy

Live Liew on dSLR is slower than a P&S :haha:

I don't even use Live View. The only time I "enable" Live View is for "framing the shot".

11. Chai

I tried using LiveView once when someone in front of my was blocking, and I didn't turn up too well.

12. Adrian Wong

I use Live View sometimes. Useful if there's a crowd blocking your view. :D

13. Adrian Wong

Well, Live View is only good for framing the shots. You still have to make sure the settings are right and the camera is held steady.

14. zy

I use live view when I place my camera on some surface and I can't bend over to look into the view finder :p

15. Chai

Problem is, I couldn't even see if the shot is in focus if it is in such an angle.

16. zy

Very true, I can only pray the shot is in focus. :mrgreen:

17. goldfries

:D use it for your advantage!

for me I use LiveView during event, where the mob is blocking the front. LiveView helpful when you raise it up, at least you get to see the frame.

:D use Quick Mode la.

anyway here's my guide for LiveView (I should make it an article)

LIVEVIEW DURING EVENT
    for Canon system - AF-ing in LiveView with Quick Mode is the way to go. All you need to know now is where you set the AF point. :D raise, focus, snap.

I've set my system to not use shutter button half-press for focusing. This way, my shutter clicks do not affect AF at all.

During events, you can gauge distance between you and the subject (say the VIP shaking hands). Even if you can't, all you have to do is AF (be it LV + QuickMode or viewfinder) across someone's shoulder. This is to get the AF - my aperture is already at f5.6 so DOF is not an issue.

AF done, just raise it with LV to frame and shoot. :D it works well that way!

LIVEVIEW FOR PRODUCT SHOOT
    I did a food shoot earlier this year, all products same framing. Tripod mounted and angle set. :D

The thing great about 60D is LiveView + Vari-angle LCD. In the past (no LV, no flip LCD) what we had to do was arrange the setup, run back to viewfinder. check. not in frame / not in intended composition, go back to table arrange again. rinse and repeat.

with LV + LCD, i just LV and flip LCD to the front. Then arrange the setup on table while looking at LCD. saves a lot of time and hassle. frame it right, straight away!

Another great thing about LiveView is that you can zoom in 10x and tweak the manual focus, I've done this for product shoot and also for shooting the moon. :D very helpful.

Technology is here, use it to your advantage instead nay-saying it. :thumb:

18. zy

You have flip-able LCD, thats a different story. :shifty:

19. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

I have a question, you said:"I've set my system to not use shutter button half-press for focusing. This way, my shutter clicks do not affect AF at all.".

Then, when will the camera focus on the subject?

Sorry for this beginner question.

20. goldfries

i set other button to become the focus button. :D

it's in your custom function. Custom Function IV, Item #1. Can change it there.

This function is useful.

Say you're shooting model on catwalk or other moving subject using AI Servo. If you have shutter button to AF, you have to AF - snap. then AF again, snap. If you change the focusing button to * then your thumb can hold on to that one and it keeps focusing / tracking while your index finger free to click shutter any time. :D

this is also useful for, in my case, shooting products. I can't be having the lens AFing away every time I want to snap a photo. I don't wish to switch my lens to MF mode since I still need the AFing. So this option helps.

So when a new plate arrives on the table, I just press the designated button to focus. After that, zoom in and MF. Happy already, click snap without having the AF shifting focus.