Camera testing - Canon 60D

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by alyy8128, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I find it much better to shoot without looking at the screen at all. Well, it's just my style.

Just like some prefer to the shutter button to only snap the shot without AF. I prefer using my thumb to grip the camera better.

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Actually, that's quite hard to do, if you are shooting over someone's head, for example. At least Live View allows you to properly frame the shot.

3. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Do any of you use battery grips?
    I feel like removing mine. Its too heavy & bulky. :oops:

4. Chai

It requires practise, that's all. And it's way faster too.

5. Adrian Wong

I didn't buy a grip myself even though I thought about it. I finally decided I didn't really "need" it. :D

6. Adrian Wong

Well, if you have Live View, why not use it?

7. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

everyone of us who
    a) used cameras before LiveView
    b) attended events

would have experienced that. :D

i've done plenty of top-down view shots without using LiveView (spent 2 - 3 years on a 350D.) and I totally understand what you're saying.

but believe me, LiveView makes your life easier because rather than guessing / hoping - you can actually frame it already.

after getting a camera with LiveView and using it, it's not just faster but it improves overall success rate. You shoot lesser frames too. Just go, LiveView, frame. shoot a few. DONE!

as to the battery grip part - I used them on entry-level bodies but now on 60D - NO. Don't see the need for it either. The added weight is just not worth it if you don't shoot portrait orientation often. Even if you did, you still can do it without BG.

8. Chai

It will be more useful if you have vari angle LCD. Try that with a fixed LCD, I can barely see the framing at that odd angle, let alone the AF. I tried once, and that's the last time I will use that.

I believe I'm not seen a professional photographer use them, because they are slow. It would have been a lot faster if I shoot-chimp-shoot. In LiveView mode, I can barely get a shot with it. It's even worse indoor and the contrast AF is not great.

9. goldfries

on the contrary - i find Vari-Angle LCD on the 60D less useful.

at event, really no time to go flip it out like that. Furthermore the LCD is on the side and it could knock or be knocked by other people.

like i said before, LiveView AF is fast if you use QuickMode (Canon) or you pre-focus. It's no problem at all already. :D

when you raise it above your head, it's not directly above your head mah. it's a little to the front, the camera angled down a bit but certainly you still can estimate the view. It's like viewing your home LCD from an angle at the bottom. You can more or less see the details to gauge the framing.

[​IMG] Nikon Malaysia 10th Anniversary Celebration by goldfries, on Flickr

took this with LiveView. at least got the subjects in frame. :)

10. Adrian Wong

Yeah, goldfries knows what I'm talking about. Live View is very helpful if you need to take shots over people's heads. Not only at events, but also at group outings or weddings. Sometimes, it adds a different perspective.

Sure, you can take a few shots blindly (or with practiced guesstimates) but very often, you don't have the luxury of retaking the shots. For such moments, using Live View can greatly cut down the risk of taking out of frame shots.

11. Chai

For these sorts of stage shooting, using LiveView is not really a problem.

For shooting wedding dinner using super wide angle lens, sometimes I still have to hold right above my head, so I have zero visibility on the LCD if I were to use LiveView.

Well, if it works for you, then it is great.

12. goldfries

ouhh so that's your ODD angle - if like then 60D's vari angle most useful. :D Nikon / Sony flip LCD could help but the angle is up to what, 45 degree face downwards? :) still helpful though.

13. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

Opps. It had been long time I didn't come back to my post.

Here I have some more photos I took during my China Trip.

The teh tarik using silk stockings in Hong Kong Airport
    [​IMG]

China Tuk Tuk Car
    [​IMG]

Funny but famous brand
    [​IMG]

Li River
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reed Flute Cave
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The light can pass thru the stone
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fu Bo Mountain
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Chai

Nice lighting in the cave.

15. Adrian Wong

Wow.. Very picturesque! I miss travelling... :(

16. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

It was highly challenging to take those photos, without bringing a tripod.:cry:

17. Adrian Wong

I'll bet! How did you do it?

18. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

Just hand held, set with high ISO, spot metering to those bright place and keep shooting. Lastly, :pray: for a good picture. :D

19. Adrian Wong

LOL!! :thumb: :thumb:

The good thing about digital cameras - you can keep taking as many shots as you need to get that one good picture. :thumb:

20. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

Ya, click as much as you can, until the SD card full. :mrgreen:

Here is another set of the trip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]