Home theatre system

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by karhoe, Oct 11, 2011.

1. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Guys I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I plan to upgrade my living room with surround system.

I have in my mind Onkyo Receiver TX-NR509/609
    http://www.cresdo.com/tvsaudioskaraoke/rec...s/product/19810

I already set aside the budget approximately RM2-3k for the receiver.

Despite NR609 being able to support 7.2 channel. I only intend on going for 5.1 system for the time being.

How much should I spend to get a decent full range speaker to be used on the 509/609? Any suggestion? Any brand?

Another question, if I fix 5.1 to 609 although it has 7.2 input, can I toggle it to 5.1 mode?

Thanks !

2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I have an Onkyo SR608 for my bedroom (PC, PS3, X360, Satellite tv HD receiver, Wii) and I love it.

As for how much you should spend, that's completely up to you. I'll probably do Paradigm speakers with a Lava sub (if I will ever stop modding the car). But that is quite the expenditure (probably just over a grand USD). Klipsch makes very decent speakers (good price/performance balance).

The receiver should automatically detect how many speakers you have connected to the back.

Make sure the receiver you're looking at has an on screen GUI. BELIEVE me when I say it'll make setting it up a heck of a lot easier (rather than the dot matrix lcd screen I've been using for the past decade or so). Audyssy makes setting up your EQ and speaker settings a breeze (put the mic on a tripod and put it at the listening points and you're done).

One thing that I tell friends is to wire the speaker and sub straight to the receiver (some subs have inputs where you can wire the speakers into it - just get a nice fat RCA cable and use that as the subwoofer cable and wire speakers direct to the receiver). Ideally, you don't want the speakers playing any bass (that's what the sub is for) so set the crossover filter accordingly (I use 80Hz I think).

3. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Currently I budget for the following setup

Onkyo Receiver TX-NR609
    http://www.cresdo.com/tvsaudioskaraoke/rec...s/product/19810

I'm actually considering NR709 and 809 as well, I looked through the spec sheets, came about with lots of jargon. So any special stuff in 709 and 809 that you guys think is worth spending the premium?

As for speakers, I intend to go for SKS 4800
    http://www.intl.onkyo.com/products/speaker...4800/index.html

and
    SKF 4800
    http://www.intl.onkyo.com/products/speaker...4800/index.html.

Planning to add a subwoofer unit from Onkyo as well
    Onkyo - SKW-204
    Subwoofers : SKW-204 | ONKYO Asia and Oceania Website

What do you guys think of this combo? Should work perfectly?

My dad is an avid fan of Onkyo so he insists on a full set of Onkyo products :w but anyway, how will the above combo do?

Thanks

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Personally, you might as well get a home theater in a box if you wanted everything Onkyo. I got my Onkyo because I didn't want to drop $300 more for a Marantz. If you can stretch your budget a tad (not sure on prices there), really check the one I got out. Solid high end features, burr-brown DACs, THX certification (not that it really matters - but some people like the logo lmao), 100W RMS per channel, and all at a digestible price point.

I would look at other speaker manufacturers rather than going all Onkyo. You'll probably get much higher quality speakers that way. Popular decent brand here is Klipsch, Polk Audio and a few others (found in the bigger electronics stores). A good price/quality (for me) is always Paradigm (at least they're completely made in North America).

Is this for you or is it for your dad?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, just get home theater in a box. End of story.

But I wouldn't. All speakers have its strength, best is to audition it yourself. No one can tell you what is best, and there's no such thing as a perfect combo. Speakers will usually work fine as long as the rating is within the amp specs.

6. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

But those home theater in a box speakers seems a little too small. I'm looking to buy them separately. Like with an AV Receiver, then buy the front speakers and rear surround speakers.

I'm just afraid 609 power output maybe a little too low for SKS-4800 and SKF-4800 :p

7. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

For speakers, the only thing you need to worry about is max input. No such thing as "too low" power. :)

From their page:
    Details are pretty sparse really...

My receiver (for example) delivers 100W RMS peak per channel. The surround speakers can take 60W. Meaning for music, my receiver can "over drive" the speakers to the point of distortion (and subsequent damage). Speaker impedance is also something I'd look at as well.

The HT in a box is a system designed to work out of the box. It's not "fun" for people like Chai and me (for example), but it works.

Chai hit it right on the head. Speakers are preference. I love the sound of Paradigm speakers and for me, I want nothing lower. I also love the sounds of Bowers & Wilkins speakers but I wouldn't spend the dough on it.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  8. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Erm...there's a reason why manufacturer makes HTIB, because they work out of the box. If you are planning to get everything of the same brand, why do you want to worry about mixing and matching yourself, when it is usually cheaper and better to get HTIB in the first place?

Size of the speakers don't really matter. I use tiny bookshelf speakers as my main, and it works very well at loud volume, loud enough my use (which is the most important criteria, isn't it?). But I use speaker stands so that it is at the right listening level/angle.

There are more things to worry about speakers than the 'ratings'. Sound signature, bass response, mids, highs are what you should be listening for, and you can't "research" them. The only way is the listen it yourself.