To Unifi or not?

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by mikegas, Jun 3, 2010.

1. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

So.... receive this offer on Unifi.. worth it or not? RM149/month for 5Mbps that's include line rental etc. Current package I have is 1Mbps RM 88 plus line rental RM21 ( i think) .. seem worth it ?

What u guys think? To Unifi or not Unifi ...

On the side note, that have been keeping me bz and at bay from here...
    Baby Isaac said hello world ...
    Michael Gas's Photos - The Gift of Life - baby Isaac | Facebook

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I wanted to post about Unifi, havent had the time to finish my long post.

All I can say is, it's worth every penny. For RM150, you are getting quite a lot.

The 5Mbps is truly 5Mbps, and it is excellent if you have a lot of users at home.

3. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

For now......Actually past few days I find the speed has drop. Unless someone else in the house to downloading heavy stuff, I cannot get the speed i got when first installed. Only time i feel fast is when I'm downloading, surfing not so much.

Also there the thing bout the cap, while it has not implemented as of now who knows what they will do later, one possibility is that they throttled down to 10% of your original speed. And the TV channels is a joke, nothing worth watching.

And the shit things is....all the series I'm watching just ended the season exactly when my Unifi gone up :wall:

On the side note, CONGRADS TO THE FATHER!!!!

4. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

5. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

The free calls to TM fixed lines are enticing though! Too bad it's not in Kepong right now!

Mikegas: Congrats on your new kid in the block! :D

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

WOW!!! Mike! You are really "terror"! :thumb: :thumb:

So fast already got baby!! Congrats to the both of you!!!! :beer: :beer:

Back to topic - IMHO, go get Unifi! I wish I can get it over here.... I'm just 2-3 km away from Chai's house but it's not available yet. So close and yet so far. :(

7. Chai

Oh yeah! Congrats!!!

8. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Thank you thank you on the wishes ...

Btw, what cable does the unifi use? telephone or fiber? I do not want to unconcealed wires in my leaving room .. if it use current phone line then is great but I doubt it ..

9. Chai

Depends on your location. Most landed house are using fiber. High rise building will use existing copper.

10. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

at least you guys got unifi. My area don't even have it, fastest internet speed available is only 1mb :wall:

11. Adrian Wong

Mine too. :(

12. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

MIA again.. bz week, my housing is old still on copper.. sob.

13. Adrian Wong

You mean you can't get Unifi??? :think:

According to Chai, Unifi can run on copper.

14. Chai

Yeah, but that doesn't you his area supports Unifi. I've heard that some high rise building is running on fibre too.

15. Adrian Wong

Yeah, the newer buildings are on fibre.

16. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

my area support unifi .. so I do not know if they gonna pull a new fiber line or not .. anyway .. have been bz with work and others... no time to reply tmnut yet!

17. Adrian Wong

Don't worry if you already registered - installation will be free. But if you did not register earlier, you will have to pay RM 200 for installation. :wall:

Yes, they will need to pull a new fibre-optic line into your house, which is why I'm postponing my upgrade. :wall: :wall:

18. whatever

whatever Newbie

hey,guys,finally i'm getting it;unifi,bt i think we shouldn't make this discussion publicly as any tm stuff may read this n take steps like they do speed throttle for p2p,MU,RS and even blocking(currently suffering from tat ;using 1mb streamyx )
    My dwnloading speed went from 180kb+ to now 10-12kb/sec.
    Called their technician,:wall: :nuts: :evil: :doh::silenced: ,i complained abt,
    all they said is:1.pay more,more speed,nvr seen efficiency.
    2.bigger the file size,longer dwn time,like i don't know,they nvr talked abt transfer rate.
    3.chck 4 virus,
    4.some websites are slow.Does she mean whole internet is slow especially things like softpedia.Can talk to the dumbers.

So,main part,i want to know they block p2p and and others on unifi t00+ n if yes,is it forever
    2.lastly,using MU,RS and hotfile services(only free user),i need the ability to disconnect n reconnect,basically to obtain new IP.
    This is the best way 4 me to bypass waiting time on the sites.
    So,i heard unifi have static IP.so,watsup,anyway to avoid,can i use cheap vps to bypass that.

Help guys,tq in advance for ya all.:wave: :wave:

19. Adrian Wong

Are you sure you are being throttled? My brother has reporting very good download speeds.

Then again, international transfer rates slowed down recently because there's apparently a problem with the submarine cable to the Philippines. So that may be the cause. I'm still using Streamyx and even that's very slow these days.

AFAIK, all residential Unifi accounts do NOT have a fixed IP. The IP should change everytime you reconnect the modem to Unifi. You actually have to upgrade to the Biz10 Business package or Biz20 Business package to get a fixed IP.

20. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Haz internetz willz downloadz shiz... :angel: