How to write zero on a Compaq Presario

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by ariyamusafir, Nov 14, 2011.

1. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

Guys, one question, how to write zero on a compaq presario? I detected the type of HDD, and that is Western Digital, got the model number and went WD website to download the utility. Took the ISO image and burn it onto the CD. Used it, and failure to detect the drive. Anyone can guide how?

2. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

supplemetary question... assume cannot, can we remove the drive from the laptop, then fix it to our desktop and low level format, then bring it back? Wuld this cause any problems with HP devices?

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Why do you want to low-level format the drive? Does it contain sensitive data? Otherwise, you can just format and reuse it.

As for your supplementary question, yes, you can do a low-level format on the HDD connected to a desktop and reuse it without any issues. Just make sure you use the CORRECT low-level formatting utility from the drive manufacturer.

4. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

Thanks, but what about the first on top, is there anyway prior to doing that?

Thanks....

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

What is the model number? Maybe the utility doesn't support the model.

6. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

Don't remember, but I am sure is that of Western Digital as back then, I checked the HDD from the properties. It matches the number on one of the Western D website......

I think that the HP guys must have done something to prevent people from doing that?

Anyway, the Laptop model is Compa Presario CQ43-206TU.

7. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

Yo Adrian, one question in response to your feedback. Now, I format using the normal Windows 7 boot CD (100% original). But even when I format using Windows 7 installation CD, the rubish of those previous is still in the HDD, and the only thing is that the index is only removed, right? So, IF there is a virus, the virus would still be in there, correct?

8. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

When you format the HDD, the virus usually can be considered gone. Haven't seen any virus that persistent, unless the virus reside on the other partition/flash drive..

9. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

When you format using the normal windows format, that I think ain't real format. Data that has been for months could still reside in the HDD. The only thing that is deleted are only indexes to the library of books. In the list, the librarian sees that they do not have that book but that book is still being situated at one of those shelves.

10. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

That's Quick format. It is good enough for normal use. You just tell the hard disk this space is ok to reuse.
    Eventually files on it will be overwritten.

Virus wont infect a computer after quick format.

11. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

but the fact is that its still there.

12. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

If you're paranoid, you can always use Darik's Boot And Nuke. DBAN can wipe it to DoD required levels if needed.

Be sure to unhook all other HDDs or they'll get wiped too.

Darik's Boot And Nuke | Hard Drive Disk Wipe and Data Clearing

Personally, I prefer using my my good ol' drill press (though my friend's approach of putting a few slugs in it would probably be more fun). But then again, I've never had to be too worried about anything anyways (not like I carry matters of national security - and with all of the hacks, most of my life info is more at risk at being stolen from amazon.com or steam lol).

13. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

Yes, the 'data' still there if you use the Quick Format. But Windows won't 'see' the virus anymore, so it won't run/activate.

14. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

This DBAN... they are perfectly safe? HDD could still be used after this? No spyware right? Thanks.

15. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

DBAN has been around for a long time. :)

HDD should still be able to be used. I think it's excessive but if you want nothing short of FBI/CIA data forensics experts to come in and find some of your data, it definitely is the way.

If all you're worried about is a dinky virus, a quick format will suffice. Heck even the good disc recovery programs can barely pick anything up after a "normal" format (believe me, I've done it before - for a friend and ONLY ONCE lol never again).

16. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Nothing will be able to activate the virus.

The fact that the virus was once on the hard disk before you did a full format. Should you be looking at why was it there in the firsts place rather than worry why a quick format wont remove it? :mrgreen:

17. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

Thanks guys for the feedback... 2 more questions... The DBAN, would it whck off the firmware as well?

Question 2, why the utility that I have downloaded from Western D website for that HDD of that particular model could not even detect the HDD?

18. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

#1 Probably not/no idea/unlikely
    #2 Most likely since the drive was sold/provided as an OEM. WD does not support. HP/Compaq does. Probably some sort of identifier in the firmware/model I would imagine. This is of course assuming the drive came from the factory.

19. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

Hmmmmm... Thanks for the info... but the next Q would be, if I were to Nuke it using that utility that was posted in this room, would it cause any problems when I install Windows later on that Compaq laptop?... Thanks.

20. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Honestly, if you have an image disc of the pc, no need to worry about all of this bruhaha about formatting the hdd. A HDD image (that is sometimes shipped with PCs - less now since it's at times a partition on the hdd) disc is easy. Pop it in and your hdd is just like when you pulled the laptop out of the box.

If they used a partition version (where you boot off the partition to re-image the hdd), I would not use DBAN.