Difference between 802.11n and 802.11 draft n

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by ariyamusafir, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

No to both questions.

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Chai already answered your questions. LOL.

No to both.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Indeed! My Dell Wireless 1701 WLAN card is the best example.

It supports 802.11n and all kinds of fancy features like "Afterburner" and "XPress Technology" but even with my WiFi-N router sitting just 5 meters away, it only registers 4 out of 5 bars in signal strength and runs mostly at 39 Mbps. This is 802.11n WLAN card in name only.

4. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

Chai ---> Why is 135 MBps not faster than 100 MBps?

Adrian ---> It looks like you need to invest a little more on your card. I got myself weeks ago a card that cost me RM180 when we can get it for barely less than RM100, the effects are estonishing. IT can detect signals far, across a row of government residences (bunglows) with wide compound area and one big aisle road, not including some wireless that I am not sure where the location is. Even the signal between the card upstairs and the modem downstairs is 100%.

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

135Mbps are just number, they are not true connected speed and it will not sustain. Do a testing yourself by transfer the same file over the network to another machine, use a stopwatch. 1 by LAN, 1 by Wifi.

There's really nothing for me to proof. You want to know the truth, test it yourself.

6. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

not really asking you to prove, just that I do not understand why a 135 mbps could be said as slower than 100 mbps.... Cheers... thanks.

ONE additional question... Can i conclude that the "N" Draft 2.0 is the draft that is adopted by the current "N" system? Meaning to conclude that the N that we are using is based on the Draft 2.0 version.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  7. Adrian Wong

135 Mbps is only the peak connected speed, not the SUSTAINED transfer rate. WiFi cannot sustain such high speeds, even if it connects at such speeds. You can test that out by simply timing how long it takes to copy a relatively large file (e.g. 100 MB) over WiFi-N and LAN.

I can't just upgrade because the card's embedded in my notebook. There's the warranty to think about. Anyway, the average connected speed of 39 Mbps is good enough for my use, even though it should do a lot better.

Well, WiFi has a much longer range outdoors, obviously. Indoors, WiFi range and reception is affected by walls, obstacles, especially if they have metal in them or are made of metal (steel reinforcement bars, metal cabinets, etc.).

8. Adrian Wong

Forget about the draft version. The 802.11n specifications have already been finalized. Just download and install the latest firmware for your router and it will support the official 802.11n standard.