Windows Phone, any comment?

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by SkylineRemix, Jul 18, 2012.

1. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

I've been thinking long to get a Lumia. In Malaysia, the price of a Lumia 800 is now on a promotional price of RM999 instead of RM 1499. Not sure if this is permanent until new Lumias with Windows 8 Mobile arrive.

Any users of Lumia 800 here? How is the data consumption for a W7 phone? Is 250MB of data a month enough? I'm still on the fence and have like about a week to decide to get it.

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Never tried the Lumia but from what I read recently, Nokia isn't doing well with the Lumias, partly because Windows 8 Mobile is coming soon and these Lumias won't be able to upgrade to it. That's why they are discounting the prices so quickly. In the US, you can get now one for US$ 50 with a plan AFAIK.

Data consumption really depends on what you intend to do with your smartphone. If you intend to download apps OTA, then you will consume a lot more than 250 MB. But if you only use it to send messages or read news or view some websites, it should be enough. Use WiFi whenever you can and you should be safe.

3. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

The cap there is so low. I keep having to turn everything off when I get a prepaid number there. I have a 2GB cap here.

4. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

Oh yes adrian, I have to meet up with you during one of the weekends.

Well, actually this would be my secondary phone. Current secondary phone is Nokia N82 and boy that's a good phone. Using it as my organizer to jot down all the appointments and web-browsing, twitter, facebook. So far my 250MB quota a month, I could barely hit 1/2 of it.

As far as Windows 8 Mobile, I don't think it is likely for me to spend a bomb on a new device for now. I'm actually thinking if this is a opportunity to upgrade since I have most of the things that I want in the Lumia 800.

5. Adrian Wong

Yeah, this is a problem over here. The mobile Internet cap is really low. Either you keep to the cap or pay through your nose... :(

That said, I've been using only about 400 MB of uploads and downloads (yes, they count both ways, SkylineRemix). So I'm in no danger of exceeding my 1 GB limit. Then again, I'm able to use WiFi most of the time...

6. Adrian Wong

So are you going to get the Lumia 800? :D

No problem. Hey, you know where I live, right?

7. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

I suppose. Yeap... near ikea if not mistaken.

8. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

Had the lumia for 4 days already. So far do good. Love the phone very much. Only afraid that I will overshot my data quota. Lol...

9. Adrian Wong

Heheh.. Just monitor your uploads and downloads over a week or so. Remember to add both uploads and downloads as they both count to your quota.

10. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

It's really hard to exceed quota. You will get an SMS alert if you reach 80% usage.

11. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

Hi SkylineRemix,

I'm curious to know if the following bugs have been sorted out in Windows Phone now:-
    - While you are typing an SMS - you left your phone unattended and your phone auto-locks. When you unlock your phone, does the entire SMS which you are currently typing disappear?
    - Are push notifications for WhatsApp reliable? As in do you get WhatsApp messages when your phone is locked, etc.?

Reason is I was an Omnia 7 (running on Mango firmware) user some time back and experienced the bugs above. Just wondering if they have been solved now. Am a WP7 interface lover at heart. :thumb:

Cheers~ :beer:

12. Adrian Wong

Is it? Hmm... When I first started using it, I actually exceeded the quota by about 40 MB? But I didn't get any warning messages.

Plus, 250 MB isn't a lot. I only use it to read stuff on the go, but even then I used a total of 382.4 MB last month.

13. Chai

I used up to 400MB last month on a 500MB plan, and I have gotten 80% usage warning on both occasions. It is easy if you use it to surf net. If it is just email, whatsapp, I think 250MB should be enough.

14. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

Well... I have 250MB per month, that means my daily limit is about 8.4MB. So far exceeded my daily limit for 2 days already... lol... I think really have to control my usage. Funny thing with windows phone is that when you connect to wifi at home and you're not charging it, it automatically disconnects when the screen is locked. Don't know if this feature is actually useful or not. Could be for conserving battery purpose.

15. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

You both on Maxis? Since recently, I can't seem to access *136*9# code to check on my current data usage. Am on the 500MB plan now and checking is quite crucial for me. You guys experiencing the same problem too?

16. Chai

Mine works very well...

17. Adrian Wong

If something odd happens, try restarting the phone.

But if Chai is correct, then you should be warned when you reach 80% of your quota.

18. Chai

LOL! Unless I'm lying, I do receive SMS from Maxis 2 months in a row.

19. Adrian Wong

LOL! I don't mean that you are lying. I just never received it myself that one time I exceeded the quota. Probably I went through it too fast! :D

20. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

Yup, tried restarting a few times but to no avail. But seems to be working fine again since last Saturday. I guess it could be a temporary problem with my account on their servers. :boohoo:

Haha. To be frank, I did receive it 2 months ago when I exceeded 80%. But when I exceeded 90% even last Sunday, it did not send me any SMS at all. Luckily I did the check else I would have over-used the quota. :shifty: