Poor Intel assembly - CPU fan obstructed

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by fiddler, Nov 28, 2012.

1. fiddler

fiddler Newbie

New build, first boot before loading the OS, (failed at first but I soon spotted I'd clipped the Power header one pin to the right :doh: )
    and I noticed the CPU heatsink fan wasn't turning. OK that sometimes takes a while before starting. So I loaded the OS and still no fan movement, thought wow, this is very laid back and it must be very efficient heat transfer and the case is still open.... Checked temperature - 55 degrees ...hmmm... felt the fan blade and it seemed to be stiff, then spotted that the fan power cables had been so tightly wound that the run from the end of the top support down and across to the first retaining clip was fouling a blade :shock: and it couldn't turn. Reached for the power switch double-quick! Unclipped the whole cable-run, restarted and the fan started spinning immediately, with no apparent ill-effects, either to the CPU or fan motor. Phew!

System builders beware - it's probably easy to not think about checking this if you're in a hurry.

Here's a pic - not the heatsink in question, but the old one set up appropriately.

Attached Files:

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I guess it is a pretty nice build with an i5! So what OS did you load with?

3. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

You're just too excited :shifty:

4. fiddler

fiddler Newbie

Win7 Home Premium. Retail version that cost me an extra £40, because I first got OEM 64-bit, but MS have now made it really hard for individual "hobbyist" system builders to do this, which I hadn't realised, having built several with XP OEM versions, so returned the OEM version unopened (glad I read the Warning on the box first), to replace with the Retail version - at least that has 32-bit and 64-bit versions. I discovered that some applications don't like the latter, so installed 32-bit.

Had a few BSODs already for some reason, but Win 7 seems to recover from these much better than XP.

Fwiw, GB Z77X-D3H

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Oh, what applications did you find out won't support 64-bit Windows?

6. fiddler

fiddler Newbie

Good question :thumb: I can't remember specifically, but searched around the web a bit, and just picked up a few reports that some programmes can't cope with 64-bit, and I got cold feet. I didn't wish to risk that something like Capela score-writing software, that I use often, is one of them. Maybe I was too cautious.
    I suppose I can always upgrade if I feel bolder :mrgreen:

7. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

I can say all my PCs are running 64-bit and I don't have problem with more programs.

If it is a 16-bit program, I'll just run in in XP compatible mode or VMware.

8. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Maybe you can try 64bit later, since I think it's perfectly problem free for most of us.

9. fiddler

fiddler Newbie

I did :) all last night :( Worked fine until I loaded Catherine's beloved Agfa SnapScan 1212U driver and tried to run it. No joy.

So I reverted to 32-bit. Now it didn't even work on that :confused: So I tried a few things - different compatibility modes XP SP2/ SP3 - then tried inserting the USB directly into the computer rather than an external USB hub. Success again :lol:
    So then I thought, I didn't try that when 64 was running, maybe I should try it :idea: so installed 64 again, and tried everything in vain :cry:
    Back to 32-bit.
    Only took up 6 hrs of my evening. Hope you're impressed with such consideration for 'er indoors :mrgreen: (30 yrs :!: ) and all so that she can use the scanner that she is used to, even though there's another one that just needs a bit of practice :wall:

10. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Ahhh.. sorry. I forgot that drivers will be a problem for older hardware. :wall: :wall:

11. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

I got these all the time when I had to assemble LGA775 systems. I pulled out the wire from some of the clips first before I let it run.

In any case if the fan doesn't run the system won't start anyway and emit a loud continuous beep. (if there's the buzzer on the board) :whistle: