My House Networking Project

Discussion in 'Adrian Wong' started by Adrian Wong, Oct 13, 2012.

1. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

what if you want to "virtualize" your IT in future? you never know :shifty: 10gbps ok ma :shifty: :shifty:

2. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

:think: How long do you plan to live in this house? :think:

The answer should drive your "future proof" budget. Longer stay = higer magnitude of "future proofing".

:clap: karhoe had an excellent point from the original thread regarding the quality of connectors and if you decide to DIY ... the tools (stripper/crimper) is CRITICAL. Getting a good RJ-45 connection can be a real pain, CAT6 even more so...

Also I took many, many pictures of both regular house voltage wiring, low voltage stuff AND plumbing before wall material was put up.

3. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Very good idea. LOL :thumb:

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

My Linksys router doesn't even support 10 Gbps! :haha:

Actually, the Thomson / Huawei router provided by Maxis (and which I'm forced to use) doesn't even support Gigabit LAN. LOL!

5. Adrian Wong

Well, I would reckon I will be staying here for at least a decade or so. We are quite tired of moving house every 2-3 years. LOL!

I think I will have to enlist Jason, who was a network engineer, to help me with the crimping work! :D

6. Adrian Wong

Just came back from two days of scouring the HomeDec fair. I think I will most likely get either the Pieno or Vivace switches and sockets from Schneider Electric (formerly known as Clipsal) - Products and Services-Schneider Electric

Any of you guys tried them out yet? A bit expensive though.

For each room, I will use the dual-jack LAN socket. I think they have a universal LAN-phone socket, but I'm not sure if that's useful at all.... maybe if I want to install an intercom system?

7. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

Since you are doing the network, might want to consider IP CCTV camera you might want to put.

8. Adrian Wong

I'm not going to use IP CCTV, just regular analog CCTV - much cheaper. LOL!

The CCTV cables will all be routed to the "command center" as well. I will need another UPS for it.

9. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Well, won't be a problem for USB printing though.

10. Adrian Wong

Luckily it has two USB ports - one for the printer, and the other one for the cooler! :D

11. Adrian Wong

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  12. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Haha, does network engineer do crimping? I thought they manage networks, server configurations etc.

13. Adrian Wong

He used to do it last time. He didn't start at the top, you know... hehehehe... :mrgreen:

14. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Better to invest on good switches and sockets. Cheap ones don't last very long and may not be save too, wire burns and all. I've changed a few of my sockets already, internally burnt out!

Also, spend more on your fusebox. Get good fuses! Cheap ones will burn up too!

15. Adrian Wong

I've been to a few renovation fairs.. I think Malaysia is more or less limited to Schneider Electric (formerly Clipsal) for better quality switches and sockets. What are you using over in Singapore?

Yeah, I will be spending more on electrical wiring. Cannot afford to have cheap wires and fuses!

16. Adrian Wong

Yeah, very close to my condo actually.

17. Adrian Wong

After discussing with the electrician, I decided to change my previous plan because it was not very practical and more importantly, was going to cost a lot more money. :wall:

In the latest scheme, I'll have Maxis run the fiber-optic cable (green colour) from the back of the first floor in the ceiling all the way to my office. It will terminate in a full height cabinet (yellow) where the main Maxis router and TM modem will reside.

From that cabinet, dual LAN cables (red colour) will run to the three bedrooms, with the 4th pair going to the stairwell, running down to the mini-storeroom below.

Once downstairs, the 4th pair of LAN cables (red colour) will run to the TV cabinet (yellow) in the front of the house and terminate at a secondary WiFi router.

From that secondary router, I will run dual LAN cables (blue colour) to the breakfast bar table in the dry kitchen and the study/play room in the front.

I think this is the cheapest way to wire up the house. Do let me know what you think as we will need to start wiring up the place this coming week.

My concerns about this plan...

I think my only concern is that the primary WiFi router, which will be sitting in the cabinet in my room will not be powerful enough to provide coverage in the other bedrooms upstairs.

If that's the case, then I might run another set of dual LAN cables from the cabinet to the outside of the office, where I will install the WiFi router. This will allow the WiFi router to broadcast to the entire first floor.

Attached Files:

18. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Seems like the cables are taking a long route from upstairs to downstairs. Why not route the cable from first floor to downstairs by routing it 'externally', instead of moving it through the staircase, route the cable out of the room, run it through the side of the house and finally entering the house again on the ground floor, directly beside the TV

19. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Btw I think any normal wifi router should be sufficient to provide coverage to the entire 2 storey house. Not like you would need these wifi devices to transmit at full speed, probably fast enough for 10mbps will do.

20. Adrian Wong

Externally? You mean along the outside wall? That wouldn't look nice aesthetically, right?

You are right in that it's taking a long route. Maybe I can run it along with the air-conditioning piping (which is going through a hole in the wall. Not sure if it's a good idea to place the cable next to a cold conduit like that though...