Phoenix BIOS update help needed, Panasonic CF 52

Discussion in 'BIOS Optimization Guide (BOG)' started by simslee, Jul 1, 2013.

1. simslee

simslee Newbie

Hello,
    Can anyone help? I have a Panasonic CF52 MK1L Laptop with a Phoenix. V1.50L12, 7/18/2007 BIOS which I want to update so I can use the built in PCI E slot and Gobi WWAN modem which are not currently picked up by the BIOS I am told by Panasonic that I need a BIOS 2.00L15 EC 2.00L11 or later so it does exist.
    Panasonic is not going to help unless I ship the Laptop back for a BIOS upgrade ($130+ postage) which is not financially viable and the Phoenix website does not help as their third party suppliers of their BIOS updates BiosAgentPlus say that they do not have an update for this BIOS but I know there is one but I do not know where to get it, please help.

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

3. simslee

simslee Newbie

Thank you for the response, yes I have all the updated drivers it is definitely a BIOS problem as it does not register the PCI E slot or the Gobi WWAN card which are present on the machine, I know the BIOS can be updated because Panasonic said that I needed a 2.00L15 EC 2.00L11 or later and they would do it for $130+postage but this is not financially viable as the machine is 5 years old but it would be nice to be able to use the installed hardware

4. Adrian Wong

Yeah, it's ridiculous to pay so much for a BIOS update. Unfortunately, this BIOS update doesn't seem to be available online in any fashion... :(

5. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

I can only say you're out of luck.

6. simslee

simslee Newbie

Thank you for all your replies, I am an optimist and there should be a solution out there somewhere, it is annoying to have installed hardware but you are not allowed to use it.

7. Adrian Wong

It's really odd that their BIOS does not support those features since the hardware is already installed at that point in time.

That said, I'm not sure if you really need BIOS support for all that, because when you boot into an operating system like Windows XP or Windows 7, the OS uses device drivers to run those components.

So I would recommend you find out the exact model of the WWAN modem, and look for its driver. You should be able to use it once you install the driver.

As for the PCIe slot support, that should come under the chipset driver. In your case, the Toughbook should be using a Core 2 Duo processor, and therefore should have an Intel chipset. You can download the chipset driver here - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Se...=IntelĀ®+Chipset+Software+Installation+Utility

8. simslee

simslee Newbie

Hi Adrian,
    Thank you for your help I downloaded the driver for the chipset but it did not help, I did not think it would as I am 100% it is a BIOS problem as the PC firmware does not see the Gobi Modem or PCIe slot.
    I know it seems odd that Panasonic built a Laptop with these devices installed but they are unusable the only explanation that I can think of is that as it was a US Government Laptop these items were disabled for a reason.
    It is odd because when I bought the laptop recently although it is 5 years old it has never been used with zero hours on the BIOS and a pristine keyboard and screen ect, I would really like to install an SSD in the PCIe slot and use the cellular modem but I think I an fighting a losing battle as Panasonic will not help unless I post it back to them for an update $130+postage which is not viable and Phoenix do not respond and BiosAgentPlus say they have not got an update.

9. Adrian Wong

That could be the reason - they were intentionally disabled in the BIOS. In that case, you are out of luck, unless you pay for the upgrade... :(