Hard drive failure rates

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by atwl77, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Did you check if there's a firmware update? It seems quite odd for there to be a connection issue.

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Look for firmware updates for both motherboard and SSD. Some combos may have issues working with each other.

3. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

Think I found the issue, it was the power supply.:wall: :wall: :wall:

4. Adrian Wong

What happened? How did you find out it was the PSU?

5. Falcone

The PC has been acting weird, my DVDR would try to load something time to time even there is no Disc in it usually everything freezes when that happen, the HDD led still lid even when the power is off. The weirdest part is the mobo LED is lid even when I unplug the power (I can't turn on thought).

Of course main thing is time to time my windows just freezes and crashes time to time as thought someone has unplug the HDD. And since I rule out the cable, and the firmware (patched all to the latest), only left is the mobo or the HDD or the PSU. I tried the PSU since it's the cheaper option and I can always keep the PSU for later.

Also I have suspected my 450W PSU cannot handle the load of my PC. :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

After I got a brand new PSU, the issue is gone.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  6. Adrian Wong

Wow.. So it was the PSU after all. Did you check the voltage readings in the BIOS? Could be out of whack...

7. Falcone

No I didn't, you are welcome to have it if you want. :)

8. Adrian Wong

Hahaha.. No thanks. My PSU blew (with a loud pop and smoke) a few months ago, and I'm just glad it didn't fry anything else! :D