Small website?

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by The_YongGrand, Apr 2, 2012.

1. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

I'm thinking of having a small personal website which showcases some electronic and programming tutorials.

I searched around and found Exabytes. They did charge a minimal fee per year if I'm not mistaken.

The webpage will be simple, only text and some "code" plugins and photos of the electronic set-up, that's about it.

Plus, I have no knowledge of Web programming - should I go learn some CSS or something first before I open up a small personal webpage?

Pardon my ignorance. :haha:

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Usually, the only reason to get a webhost provider is for the flexibility, storage, customization

Otherwise, you can look into blog style format or simple sites like Google Sites for free hosting.

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Use something like Wordpress.

4. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Hmm great. I'll check it out.

Maybe I need to put the captcha thing on the comments once it's set up! :)

5. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

rent a vps/cloud server, deploy a lamp setup and install wordpress on it. it's way more fun and you can do more than just running a blog. small email server, a FAST proxy (can watch overseas content), your personal dropbox etc..

plenty of world class providers available. amazon, rackspace etc. If you are a geek, you can consider linode.com. easily 10mbps on average, 4 virtual cores.

besides, they all have very good API for you to develop web app.. to tap on their infrastructure. they even have API to manage your server! :thumb:

forget about exabytes. it's local. and they are still offering 1mbps and a single virtual core for a vps server. it's just so sad.

i'm sure you will enjoy it thoroughly!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  6. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

No, you don't really need to. Just make sure you configure Akismet filter for wordpress and you'll be all set and spam free. Check out Akismet anti-spam plugin for WordPress to find out more. It's really that good at filtering out comment spams.

7. coopscooper

coopscooper Newbie

Have a look at the Basic website builder packagewith 1&1.

Should be just about right for someone of your skillset and in your situation.

Good luck !

Reference: GF created her own embroidery website with it.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  8. bela541

bela541 Newbie

A free theme wordpress can help for your problem.