BSOD when booting up window XP iso

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by belikethat, Jul 6, 2015.

1. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

i am trying to install window xp on a dell e520 desktop but there is no CD/DVD drive
    I managed to boot on USB but every time it enters the stage 'Window XP is setting up' ( after loading all the drivers ) it will BSOD. Screenshot taken below.

So i tried other ISO image( 2 XP, 1 Home edition on two different thumb drive, all same result. Used NTFS,FAT32. Program used to burn to USB is Rufus https://rufus.akeo.ie/

I gave up on window XP & tried to boot on Ubuntu 14. no problem. Right now i am on Ubuntu but i would still prefer Window XP.

I have done this on other laptop & desktop before.
    Could there be any BIOS setting or recommendation to enable boot from window XP successfully ? I find it weird that i can boot on Ubuntu 14 without issue

Attached Files:

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

From what I can see in Google, it looks like this is a BIOS compatibility issue with some Dell systems. You might want to opt for Windows 7 Starter if the Dell E520 system is underpowered.

3. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP Newbie

Missing AHCI SATA driver...

4. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Yup... BSOD 7B most of the time is SATA drivers.. :D

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

And it is really hard to find the right drivers. I had a tough time trying to install a relatively new machine with Windows XP. :wall:

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

6. Adrian Wong

I recently refurbished an old Core 2 Duo notebook to give away, and ran into trouble because its original HDD is dead, and I couldn't find all of its Windows 7 drivers.

Problem solved by... quickly upgrading to Windows 10. I have to say - Microsoft did a great job with the default Windows 10 drivers.

7. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP Newbie

Windows 7 usually has all drivers on a Core 2-era system, except maybe the graphics. I wouldn't have really expected much of a difference, except for Skylake...

8. Adrian Wong

That's what I thought, but I think it lacked the driver for the card reader or something. However, I was already planning to upgrade it to Windows 10, so I skipped it all and just upgraded straight to Windows 10.