Looking for cameras? Post all questions here!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dashken, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

2. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

anybody into photography?
    I am looking an upgrade from my smartphone to a real camera :mrgreen:

any recomendation for a camera?, you may asssumsed i have zero knowledge on camera.
    Friend so far has told me to go for mirrorless, which i want i wanted. quality pics + portable.
    Mainly photo for travelling for small event.

Budget is rm1k, but probably can bump up a little if it really worth it. So far it looks like sony a5100 fits the bill.

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

A5100 is an excellent choice. If you want something small with interchangeable lens, I don't think there's anything better at that price.

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I'm so tempted to move to mirrorless... but what am I going to do with all my Nikon DX gear??? LOL!

5. Chai

Lens choices are fairly limited, and while many Sony lenses are good and comes with SS, but they are not cheap. You probably can't even get bokeh on the kit lens.

6. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

Lens comes with more complication to choose. E-mount, A-mount, then Full frame or APS format............

it has to be very firm to choose which line u want to go in....E or A.

7. Chai

The reason for getting E mount is quite simple. It's usually cheaper and smaller. I don't think he will even consider the A mount, which can be ridiculously expensive.

8. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

I though A-mount lens will be cheaper?

E-mount lens is definitely smaller. But I though A-mount lens will have more variety since it had been long in the market .

9. Chai

I'm not sure about Sony lenses, but the 3rd party e mount lenses like sigma are pretty good and cheap. A mount lenses are too big for e mount cameras to take advantage of its size.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

10. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

A-mount's longevity is questionable -- we all know Sony has ADHD with its tech -- so unless you already have any investment in A-mount, it would be unwise to start a new A-mount collection. This leaves E-mount and FE-mount. Besides Sony there are other mounts, but every single mirrorless system comes with a set of advantages and compromises, you'll just have to pick your poison.

Sony -- best sensor, compact bodies, highest resolution; generally large lenses, corner performance is usually questionable.
    Olympus -- excellent sensor stabilisation, compact body, mature lens line-up; dated sensor, lenses rely on software correction for best results.
    Panasonic -- generally excellent for video, wide range of bodies for both pro video work and super-compact portability; dated sensor, lenses rely on software correction for best results.
    Fuji -- classic bodies with good tactile feedback, generally excellent lenses; questionable sensor, tech level generally lower than the rest of the competition
    Leica -- $$$$$$$$$$
    Nikon -- bleh
    Canon -- bleh
    Samsung -- questionable future in digital photography

11. Chai

Nikon and Canon are out of the mirrorless market, and probably samsung too as there's rumours they are quitting.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

12. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Fuji is my poison Been eyeing the X-T1 for a while, but the rumours on X-Pro2 seems tempting for me to just wait a little longer.

Although another side of my is also itching to get an old Leica M8.2 body and pair it with a Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4.... *drool* but as atwl77 says, it's $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

13. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Don't think the M8.2 is a viable choice anymore... the sensor's dated, and not much can be done anymore if any repairs are needed. I'd say the M240 is the bare minimum for longevity. Pair it with the Zeiss 35/2 or 50/2, they're waayyy better than the Summilux-M (unless you meant the 35/1.4 Asph FLE...). I hear the new Zeiss 35/1.4 is also pretty good for less than half the price of the FLE.

14. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

I dont think i will change len, cause it should be portable for travelling. which leads to another question
    Perhaps a point and shoot type of camera since dont think will change lens ? :p
    Or it is this mirrowless technology produce better quality picture.
    Was shocked that point and shoot camera like sony rx100 can be pricey too.

15. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Well, it's the size of the sensor and the quality of the lens that matters. The rx100 has a 1" sensor, which is way bigger than the majority of compacts and their pea-sized sensors.

16. Chai

I think A5100 is a much better choice if he don't mind the size. It has a bigger sensor, and definitely more capable (unless you are comparing with RX100 Mk4 which is 3 times the price).

17. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

hehe rx100 mk4 or even mk1 is way out of my budget. hehehe
    well i will just keep an eye out if there is any good deals around.

18. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

19. Chai

There's a number of significant advantages. There's a slight noise reduction at higher iso range due to the use of a6000 sensor. It also has on sensor phase detection autofocus, sony has managed to combine both contrast and phase detection calling it hybrid. The audio focus performance is excellent, even better than my old nikon d700.

Having the phase detection autofocus will help in taking video too. You wouldn't want the recording to keep hunting for focus. It is also capable of high quality 60 fps 1080p with XAVC.

There are other less significant advantages, but I would definitely get a5100 over a5000, which I did!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

20. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started