Windows 8

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Chai, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I know some of you have already upgraded to Windows 8. But I never have any interest in it because of the Metro UI. Unless you have a touchscreen tablet laptop, Metro UI makes absolutely no sense on a normal desktop, not even for a touchscreen monitor.

However, now there's Start8. A Start button replacement! It works extremely well. You can even configure it to take over Metro UI! Sounds like a spam if you don't know me LOL. Why can't Microsoft includes this in the first place. Now Stardock can make quick bucks just because of this simple feature...

I might consider Windows 8 after all!

2. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

Looks good. USD5 is chicken feed. I may consider also, but right now I'm ok in using Metro, just took a while to get use to it.

Please feedback after u got it.

3. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

No complaints after learning the Metro UI. I don't need a start button... I have the stuff I access most pinned to appear where I need it to.

4. Chai

The biggest problem for me is trying to access to the corner of the screen to access Start Menu or various controls of Metro UI. This is extremely painful for remote desktop on a sluggish connection, especially in non-fullscreen mode. I know many of you won't face this issue in the US, but we are still living in the narrowband world where expensive lease line are dominated by you know who. Our home connection are usually much faster than corporate line catering thousands of users instead of a handful of users at home. LOL

The second concern is that all the default pinned items are basically useless. A start menu with frequently access apps, and pinned apps on task bar are more than sufficient for my usage. You can do the same with Metro UI, but it is taking too much space, when I could easily access files located on Desktop. One of my workflow involves saving files on desktop for my unfinished work. Metro UI also makes remote desktop pretty slow due to animations and images. The classic desktop only requires loading the small icons.

Oh yea, I forgot to mention that Start8 has free trial, and it works pretty well. Almost "stock" feel.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  5. Chai

I found another option which is free! Classic Shell! But you only get the "retro" Win7 look, but I can't complain a free software, right?

6. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

I used the Start8. And the update process from Vista to 8 was very seamless. Expecting a BSOD on the old 2009 laptop but it didn't.

Since then I installed Office 2007 inside too and it has no problems running. :)

7. Chai

It is really bad timing for me to buy the discounted Win8. Planning to wait for Intel Haswell...

Start8 is trial version though...Might want to consider Classic Shell, works fine, just not as nice (stock looking).

8. Michel

Michel Banned

I personally too much like Win 8. In my point of view Win 8 is amazing addition in the world of OS. Here are only some reasons that why I, like WIN 8.
    Startup Time:
    Windows 8: 18 Sec
    Windows 7: 27 Sec
    Shutdown Time:
    Windows 8: 8 Sec
    Windows 7: 12 Sec.
    Wake-up From Sleep:
    Windows 8: 10 Sec
    Windows 7: 13 Sec.

9. Dong_Levera

Dong_Levera Newbie

I too feel that the tile-based structure is better suited for mobiles than desktop but maybe I am a dinosaur! :think:

10. I was thinking about upgrading from win 7 to 8 and i heard somewhere that 8.1/8.2 were useful for game graphics acceleration.
    One wouldn,t happen to know which upgrade i should be prepping for a better fps diagnosis?

11. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Why go for Windows 8/8.1 when you can upgrade to Windows 10 FOC? :D

12. Well i was told that 8.1 had a better ratio for graphics acceleration than 7 or 8 for example.