The Cone Nebula & Christmas Tree Cluster

Discussion in 'Ishtim' started by Ishtim, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

I see where the cone gets it name but I haven't quite figured out the Christmas Tree part.

This is a combination of 18, 10 minute exposures in each Red, Green, and Blue or 540 minutes (yes, 9 hours :faint: )of exposure. This was taken over several nights last week. This was my first image that used calibrated RGB based on white balance from 3 equal exposures of a G2 class (white) star directly overhead. Here is a JPG from the original. :shifty:

Attached Files:

• cone.jpg
      cone.jpg
      File size:
      749.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Awesome!:clap:

How the hell are you staying warm in there lately???

Let us see some new indoor pictures of the observatory.:)

3. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Nothing has really changed indoors. When building, I installed Cat-5 so I can now sit in the house and remotely access the scope and camera via Windoze XP's Remote Desktop. It just takes a few minutes before it gets dark to setup and then I am back in the comfort of "home". I did install a network cam to monitor status whether I am at work or home but I haven's set up a public IP address yet. Attached is a screenshot with the roof partially opened. Notice my wife's showercap used to cover the scope tube. :wicked:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  4. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

Sounds like a nice setup, out of curiosity how often do you resilver the mirrors on that scope?

5. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

This particular mirror set has never been re-coated. It is 18 years old but been kept inside with air con for most of its life. Funny you ask, if you shine a light from behind the mirror you can see pits where the coating is missing. You would probably bee suprised how imperfect the surface can be and still focus light as needed. I need to get it re-coated, and I believe that professional observatories (stored outside 24/7)have thiers re-coated once/year.

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

How does the coating get eroded? From debris flying in the air? :think:

7. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Dust, humidity and reactive gasses in the air cause the coatings to errode over time. :wall:

8. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

The image above has been published in the June 2016 Sky & Telescope magazine in an article named "Nebula Wars" that compares the professional to the "amateur". It brought me $100 USD. :D

peaz likes this.
  9. Trinity

That's real cool Ishtim!:cool:

I've been looking up at Mars lately. Did you get a picture of it lately since it has been so close?

10. Trinity

Hey, Are you up to date with the JWST?:wave:

11. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Hello... I am, and patiently awaiting for it to come online.