Hard Disk Drive Myths Debunked!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hard Disk Drive Myths Debunked! Rev. 5.2

This guide was written in response to the numerous fallacies about the hard disk drive that are still being propagated in many forum discussions.

As you read through this guide, you may think that some of these myths may have been made up. We wished that was true. We collected these myths from various discussions we heard or read over time.

So, let's get down to basics and examine some of these common fallacies or myths and debunk them!

Here are the changes in this update :

We now have 60 HDD myths in this article!

[​IMG]

Link : Hard Disk Drive Myths Debunked! Rev. 5.2

2. dryloch

dryloch Newbie

I have a hard drive reality that I am hoping someone can help me with. I bought a 4TB Internal Drive. I plugged it into a USB 3 external dock so I could move the data over from the old drive that was in my PC. After copying over the data I removed the old drive and plugged the 4TB in it's place but it will not work. I can see it in Management console but cannot click any options to enable it or activate it as they are all greyed out. If I plug it in externally again it works fine. I am running Windows 8 64 Bit with a modern board that can handle this size of a drive. The drive is formatted GPT. When I have it hooked up external I do have an option to make it a dynamic disk. Would that make any difference? I really want it INSIDE the PC;)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  3. Adrian Wong

This is the wrong place to post your question. You should really create a new topic.

But FYI, for you to access all 4 TB in a single partition, it needs to be using the GUID Partition Table (GPT). If you use the standard MBR partition table, then you will be limited to 2 TB per partition.

If you have trouble accessing the 4 TB hard disk drive when it's installed internally, you need to check if your motherboard BIOS supports 4 TB hard disk drives. You will likely need to update the BIOS.

4. Adrian Wong

Hard Disk Drive Myths Debunked! Rev. 5.3

This guide was written in response to the numerous fallacies about the hard disk drive that are still being propagated in many forum discussions.

As you read through this guide, you may think that some of these myths may have been made up. We wished that was true. We collected these myths from various discussions we heard or read over time.

So, let's get down to basics and examine some of these common fallacies or myths and debunk them!

We now have 62 HDD myths in this article!

[​IMG]

Link : Hard Disk Drive Myths Debunked! Rev. 5.3

5. mathew7

mathew7 Newbie

Myth #62, another way still possible

So we all know that MS supports only 2 boot modes:
    UEFI+GPT
    BIOS+MBR.
    While these are indeed the options on installing windows, I have managed to do UEFI+MBR. However, this requires UEFI+GPT first and then convert the HDD to MBR:
    1. backup partitions individually
    2. repartition to MBR
    3. restore partition data from step 1
    4. update BCD information with new partitions

So there is just the BIOS+GPT case that is probably impossible to do. My only (untested) solution is to have a hybrid partition scheme with the boot partition as MBR and it booting a GPT windows (if BIOS bootmgr recognises GPTs).

6. Adrian Wong

Just curious - why do you want to do UEFI + MBR?

7. Adrian Wong

Hard Disk Drive Myths Debunked! Rev. 5.4

We now have 65 HDD myths in this article!

[​IMG]

Link : Hard Disk Drive Myths Debunked! Rev. 5.4

8. xerces8

xerces8 Newbie

Another myth:
    It is quite widespread and also old. It says, that after reading about 12 TB of data off of a HDD, the probability of a read error is almost certain.
    Everyone with a HDD can test that this is not true (by reading 12 or more TB from it and seeing that there is no read error, not even after 100 TB).

Google "RAID URE" (it is usually mentioned in the context of RAID-5 rebuild) for many examples.

9. Dawn L Kelly

Dawn L Kelly Newbie

I too had the same doubt for myth 18.
    Thank you for your information